Smoke problems

Hi all

Tactical situation:

One of my infantry platoons are recieving a lot of indirect fire upon them, and need a break.

I think I know the location of at least one enemy spotter, and want to smoke his LOS.

I give all my on map heavy weapon units (a field gun, an ATG and one mortar) with smoke rounds and LOS to the intended target a smoke order for that location.

My field gun fires one smoke round (overshooting the target) before switching to other target priorities, all other weapons switch targets before firing any smoke rounds at all. I can't recall any of them being shot at by enemies before switching targets.

As a result my infantry platoon was practically eliminated by the indirect fire.

How can I make my units stick better to their fire orders?

TIA

Olle

I have had this problem too... In my case it is usually with tanks... I will send them a smoke order and they NEVER carried it out. Granted, i havet used smoke very often, but everytime i order a tank to fire smoke.. it never happens.. Does this happen to anyone else???

Zaff'

Units will drop a smoke order in a heatbeat if they spot a better/dangerous target. One question, Olle, did any of your units have direct LOS to the suspected spotter's location? If so, an area fire command may have worked better, especially with the heavier cannons. If not, I find the units best suited to this sort of fire mission are mortars. I nearly always try to set them up in a 'hide' position and use a spotter. This way, they have no direct LOS to other targets and virtually never will have this happen to them.

Also, do you have v1.03 yet? There is another 'stickyness' fix in it, but I'm not sure if it will do anything for this situation.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Also something like that would have been better suited for your on map mortars or IF smoke units. A vehicle will fire smoke until it hits the exact target you specify, it is not an area fire command. So that vehicle (Even if it doesn't get distracted with a better target) might just fire one round or then depending on if it hits the spot you clicked on.

The other issue is that smoking an FO that is already calling down fire might not be too effective since it won't stop the fire mission against you (FOs can direct area fire missions against things not in their LOS). At best you woudl have degraded the accuracy a tad. Like someone mentioned above perhaps an area fire command might have been a better move if you had some suspected locations.)

Los