Stick with your guns!

I'm just learning out the hard way that it's best to form a good defense and stick with it or else you'll be up the creek pretty quick.

I'm currently playing a 1500 point defense as the americans, and could see only two main routes of attack - one on each flank. My left had a reverse slope position in some woods, behind which were additional wooded positions.

On the right were additional wooded areas surrounding a fairly large open expanse. I put one platoon on my right with a HMG and a mortar, along with a zook if there happened to be any tanks coming my way.

On my left I tried to set up my main defense, combining a nice little arty ambush with some heavy weapons. The plan was to have an advance platoon keep an eye on the crest of the hill then pull back to a main line supported by a MMG, .50 cal, halftracks and a M10. Unfortunately, the computer only dealt me one spotter, and I had to cover two flanks. My solution was to had it able to see one flank but not the other (target it out of line of site). Since I was weaker on my right, I figured it might be best to have the arty come down quicker on that side if I needed it.

To make a long story short, I had the arty trained on the left, then switched it to center where a platoon plus some MGs had camped out.

Unfortunately, the very next turn some germans came over the ridge on my left. I decided to try to hold them with my advance platoon for a turn or two, but this ended in disaster. My reserve platoon was sent in to reinforce the main line, but is also getting wiped out. The arty is now falling on the germans, but I'm too weak to counterattack.

A classic case of letting yourself get distracted by the opposition rather than sticking to your plan. I could have wiped out his forces if I stuck with my original defense. Instead, I'll be lucky to come out with a minor victory, if at all...

I'd say that you can't stick entirely to a plan you compose before the battle. You have to be flexible, responding quickly to each move by the attacker. Counterattack at any possible opportunity, to keep the attacker off balance. How can you continue an attack when there's two platoons of SMG troops that managed to flank you, and are now butchering a few mortars and MMGs? The attacker will have to deal with them, and that consumes his valuable time, because he'll have to sidetrack a large part of his offence to deal with this unexpected threat.

For the ultimate lesson in defense, read Fionn's Sunken Lane AAR on CMHQ. By ambushing, flanking, and counterattacking into his opponent's rear areas, Fionn was effectively on the offense through most of the game, even though he had only half the strength of his opponent.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

My main point was that I got jumpy and abandoned my original plan too quickly. There was no need for me to get my spotter to target the troops (1 platoon or so) advancing in the center, since there was still a large expanse of ground for them to cover that was within sight of a platoon that I had waiting in cover toward the center of the map. I also had a platoon in reserve if things got too hot.

Fionn's AARs are great resources too. Some of the ideas take a while to perfect, especially the timing of withdrawing your troops effectively. I obviously left my guys hanging too long, and it cost me dearly.

The worst part - I think that had the right plan. The attacker committed at least a company, probably closer to two, to my left flank. Had I been ready with the arty as originally planned, my life would've been much easier...

This sounds like the familiar problem of trying to fight with the outpost line. Yes, it does take a few dead OP squads or platoons in a couple of battles, perhaps lost in consequence, to learn that such thing guys are not going to "delay" the enemy, especially in covered terrain. OPs are meant to see the enemy then run.

The first turn something runs into them, they will get off their shot. But if the firing has started, don't even wait for the delay - use the "withdraw-run" to break contact immediately. Another item there is OPs should not be set on "hide" if they are in woods with LOS <100 yards. Let them open up as soon as they see somebody - the enemy point squad "taking cover" can be the difference between getting away and not, even if you don't stay a single turn after shooting starts.

The only times a forward force can actually delay anybody, are when #1 they've got a lot of open ground to their front, at least two squads, and preferably some sort of MG able to see the same ground (doesn't have to be right up with them) or #2 when it is a matter of an AT ambush - then it delays vehicles just by caution and waiting for the infantry, even though you run right away.

Better source of delay, as such, are AP minefields of fire lanes from MGs (or the like) far away but able to hit open ground. OPs are about scouting and warning time, knowing that he is coming from direction A and when he will arrive (right after your high-tailing scouts).

The 2 minutes they can buy can mean an on-time barrage instead of one too late, so OPs are often worth the risk. But they have to run.