Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

BTS, possible CMBB Russian aviation help

I have a Russian language 1980 ex-Soviet book called in English THE DEVELOPMENT OF AVIATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY IN THE USSR. It treats the development of Russian aircraft and armament during WWII as part of its coverage and has explicit coverage of the latter.

This book will only be of real use if you already have a Russian speaker or access to a translator (was starting to learn the language when I got it, but got derailed). Let me know if you'd like to borrow this book to support the war effort. Steve, I hope you got all the Hungarian info you were seeking. Any luck with the Hungarian war veteran group?

Regards,

John Kettler

I think there is sufficient english literature published in english, readily available, on russian aircraft for the purpose of modeling them in CMBB. I.e., sufficient to know the basic design and armament for the abstracted simulation within CMBB.

It is not a question of whether an Il2m3 could do 3.3 or 3.5 "G" at full loadout at a ceiling of 400ft or similar...

The basic data they need is armament, ammunition carried for that armament, availability (time, place, quantity), and likelihood of being employed within CAS. Those can be obtained from a number of general aviation books on russian aircraft. Even that is probably too much detail, have you ever wondered whether that fighter-bomber you ordered (in one out of 50 games) for your german troops in CMBO is a Fw 190F-3 or Fw 190F-4, or which Waffensatz / Rüstsatz sub-sub-version it carries, or whether that head-plate for the pilot in the Me-109F-4/b had 11 or 12mm of armor.

IOW, your suggestion seems somewhat an overkill to me. It would probably be very useful for people doing a flightsim like Il-2.

Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

have you ever wondered whether that fighter-bomber you ordered (in one out of 50 games) for your german troops in CMBO is a Fw 190F-3 or Fw 190F-4, or which Waffensatz / Rüstsatz sub-sub-version it carries, or whether that head-plate for the pilot in the Me-109F-4/b had 11 or 12mm of armor.

YES! Yes I have I also want to know what color my planes are dammit!