Does jinking help?

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

I find it hard to believe that the speed of the vehicle perpendicular to the line of fire does not influence the hit probability in a negative way, since this would mean that a tank running straight at a gun would be as easy to hit as a tank running across its field of view. No way!

From experience with modern tank gunnery, I can tell you that jinking does make aiming and inducing lead more difficult. It doesn't sound like this is programmed into the game however.

Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

[QBFrom experience with modern tank gunnery, I can tell you that jinking does make aiming and inducing lead more difficult. It doesn't sound like this is programmed into the game however.[/QB]

That's very interesting. Could you perhaps be a bit more specific? In what situations would tanks jink? What exactly is 'jinking' iro tanks? Were WW2 AFVs nimble enough to jink?

Originally posted by Walker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

[QBFrom experience with modern tank gunnery, I can tell you that jinking does make aiming and inducing lead more difficult. It doesn't sound like this is programmed into the game however.

That's very interesting. Could you perhaps be a bit more specific? In what situations would tanks jink? What exactly is 'jinking' iro tanks? Were WW2 AFVs nimble enough to jink?[/QB]</font>

Originally posted by Mannheim Tanker:

...we engaged in "Sagger Drills"...I have no way of judging how well all of this works with real bullets and missiles.

This tactic was devised by Israeli tankers when they first came up against Sagger missiles in the Yom Kippur war of 1973 and it worked well enough for them then.

But the Sagger was a slow missile which gave the tankers plenty of time to engage the missile gunner with MGs. Against today's higher speed missiles, especially any with fire and forget capability, the matter is considerably more problematic.

Michael

Originally posted by Walker:

So this is how it works, as I now understand it:

a/ Shooter ‘sees’ target, program calculates hit probability applying a vast number of obvious and not-so-obvious variables. Program ‘decides’ whether or not it is a hit.

b/ Shooter shoots.

c/ Whatever happens in the time between the shot being fired and the shot hitting the target is irrelevant, i.e. if it’s a hit, it’s a hit.

d/ Speed is one of the variables that reduces the chance of getting hit.

e/ Jinking reduces speed and increases exposure time.

Except for inverting the order of the last part of step (a) and step (B), I'd say you have it about right.

Michael