Guest captain,ro

Guest captain,ro

how come even tho the morter team is in

radio contact,they can't use another hq

unit to direct fire?:confused

michael

p.s.thats the way we used them back when

Guest captain,ro

i guess what im trying to find out is why caint the raido be of more help.

like one hq unit talking to another to direct the fire

capt ro

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by captain,ro:

i guess what im trying to find out is why caint the raido be of more help.

like one hq unit talking to another to direct the fire

capt ro<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think (though I do not know for sure) research may have indicated that the light mortar teams do not possess their own radios. Thus they are dependent on the controlling HQs communicating with them by other means over short distances.

As to why other HQs can't call in requests to the controlling HQs... I dunno, maybe it was thought there wasn't sufficient evidence of that happening in real life to justify allowing it. Remember, these teams were pretty primitive, without comm nets and fire directors, etc. CM is allowing us a certain amount of license already to use them the way we do. In real life they would likely have had to have been located closer to their spotter and with a clear LOS to him in order to communicate.

Michael

Not that this hasn't been explained about a dozen times in page-long detail (but what the hell I'll cover it again)... Mortars in WW2, especially 60mm company mortars did not carry radios and could not talk to whoever they wanted to on their side even if it was operational ly/doctrinally permissible, which it wasn't.

The only time an on board mortar can use Indirect Fire is if it has been stationary since the beginning of the game, meaning there was time to register the TRPs and or wire was laid to FOs, both of which are invalidated once the unit moves out. The other way is if the mortar team is in command radius and is being guided by a process known in mortar-maggott technique known nowadays as Direct alignment.

BTW command radius has nothing to do with radio range, this has everything to do with how far away a unit can be from it's HQ and still be influenced by it's Plt Ldr via voice or hand and arm signals and/or the leader's presence.

I'd say an understanding of how mortars actually operate in real life is probably the single biggest thing most people fail to understand, this is due to the BS way most games handle mortars.

Los