Problems installing CMBB

Hey, new here!

I've just purchased CMBB and have tried installing it, but it won't work and is giving me no end of grief!

Basically it begins to install and takes ages thrashing the DVD drive looking at the BMP.exe file until eventually it begins exstracting the BMP files using winRAR. once that's done it selects the WAV.exe and after doing the same again, instead of opening winRAR and exstracting the WAV files it cancels the installation and gives me a window asking me to insert installation disk#1 and a path name ( d: in this case).

if I now click ok it tells me that the media device is not connected and basically that I can't install it. ????

If I then cancel the installation (the only option that I can do now) i find I don't have a DVD drive and that its just gone and I can't access the D: drive.

This doesn't happen with any other program and I've never had a problem installing anything. I bought CMBO with CMBB and that installs fine and I have apsolutely no problems with that.

I have tried emptying the TEMP folder in windows but that doesn't work and I've also tried to copy the setup.exe file to the harddrive but it gives me a message saying that the setup.exe file has been modified by an outside souce or something and so I can't copy it. I have also tried installing it in safe mode but it doesn't even open WinRAR doing that.

I don't have anything running in my task bar apart from Norton Anti Virus and I'm about to try disabling that and see if it works...but I don't think its going to make any difference.

Anyone have any advice? I'm having thoughts about the disk being corrupted. This is a brand new disk without a single mark on it.

I'm using an 800 Duron with 512 Ram, I've got 12GB of space free and a DVD drive. I've got a Geforce 2 MX. (It's all crap I know! I need a new computer!)

I'm running it on windows XP Professional.

Enjoying CMBO by the way. it's great.

I highly recommend disabling the anti-virus while attempting to install CMBB. While this problem doesn't occur for everyone, it's possible that the anti-virus is interfering with the installation process (by examining the extracted files) that the installer is just 'knocked out' in one manner or another.

Which version of CMBB do you have ? Was it purchased from a store (online or retail location) or directly from BFC via this website (the 'internet' version) ? The retail version is from CDV and it uses SafeDisc as the copy protection scheme. Generally problems with SafeDisc usually result in read errors with the CD (it may not be an actual 'error message', but your CD/DVD drive may have problems reading a CD encoded with SafeDisc).

Most likely I would guess that the anti-virus software is the culprit here. Disabling that (just during the installation process) should be enough to get you going. I also suggest making sure nothing else is running in the background (utilities or programs), by checking with the 'task manager' (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and getting rid of most programs/services that are listed other than Explorer and Systray, though under Win2K/XP you'll find many that can't be closed. If you're running XP then anything that has 'system' as the 'user' you will not be able to close.