Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Unhandled Exception Revisited

Hi All,

I know this problem of the “unhandled Exception” error has come up several times before and I have read all the threads about it starting from a year back. It’s even in the new FAQ.

I have tried all the suggestions in there. Removing the configuration file, re-installing DirectX 9, applying the newest Nvidia detonator drivers, installing the new 4-in-1 drivers for my Via KT133A chipset and flashed my BIOS to upgrade it to the latest version available. I even went as far as re-installing my whole CMBB installation and applying all the patches in the correct order to be sure that I did not make any mistakes there.

I still have the same problem. I did not see this happen before, but for the first time ever I’m playing a huge battle from the Störfang operation. I never did something this big in CMBB (always stuck to 1000 – 1500 point battles on medium sized maps) so perhaps that is were it goes wrong. On average every other turn in this scenario, during the calculation phase I hear a nasty ping and CMBB crashes out with the “Unhandled Exception” error at “00000005c” or something. Is there any other thing I can try to solve this as I’m getting fed up with something that should work.

System specs:

CMBB 1.03

Windows XP Professional SP1

AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz

512 MB internal memory

Award BIOS version 3.4

Via KT133A chipset with on board soundchip

GeForce2 MX 100/200 Graphics card

Thanks for the help!

Edit : Still can't type!

Mies

[ July 15, 2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Mies ]

I'd shut down anything else that you have running in the background (Ctrl-Alt-Del for the list). As you probably already know the memory address you gave (or something close to it actually) was common in a lot of problems that ended up being related to DirectX (a corrupt file or something along those lines).

It's possible that you have an instant messaging client or something else interfering with CM during its calculation phase. Thus shutting down any other programs to minimize the possibility that something else is interfering (this could be bi-directional printer drivers, USB devices, etc.).

If this problem only happens with the new operation and nothing else make it occur, then it could be a problem with that particular operation. Although it is unplayable due to its size, you may want to try out "To the Volga", a very large operation in the factory district of Stalingrad. If your system has some sort of memory or CPU utilization problem, then this operation would most likely reproduce the problem for you.

Oh... and the 'latest' Detonator driver may not be the best one to use. Generally I'd recommend 30.82 or 30.87 for anyone using a GeForce Ti 4600 or older (if CM is your main addiction). The newer drivers don't offer any real benefits in CM in my opinion (aside from the Anisotropic Filtering, which can be enabled/controlled by a tweaker program while utilizing the older drivers - though possibly not to the same extent with the newer drivers) and the 30.82/87's work fine (though they could possibly be a problem in other games).

[ July 15, 2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Thanks Schrullenhaft,

I have now played two other turns without problems. As you said I had a messenger running along with a Nvidia control panel. I quit them both and as said I played two turns. Now why didn't I think of this solution?? :confused:

Thanks again!

Mies