light and heavy MG`s

I wonder what the difference between light and heavy MG42 or 34 should be ? As far as i know there have been just 34 and 42`s...no light or heavy versions. In cmbb you can see the heavy versions use lafette but this can`t be the difference.With or without it, it used the same calibre but in CM the heavy versions are able to destroy Vehicles but the light are not ?

Anybody out there knowing more than me ?

Oi ! Skolman

It's simple. Bothe the MG 34 and the MG42 are General Purpose Machine Guns (GMPG) and can be used in either light or heavy roles.

The heavy versions have a tripod, optical sight and a bunch of men supplying ammo and spare barrels. This meains that the effective rate of fire is increased substantially and the extra stability means more effective fire at range. Calibre is identical for each model

As for killing light vehicles, I'd guess that the Heavy setup can group its rounds in a tighter group on the vehicle, so the concentration of damage to the armour means more rounds get through(?) It might also be an attempt to stop regular squads taking out HTs at range all the time.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

It's simple. Both the MG 34 and the MG42 are General Purpose Machine Guns (GMPG) and can be used in either light or heavy roles.

The heavy versions have a tripod, optical sight and a bunch of men supplying ammo and spare barrels. [snips]

Correctly correctington. But you're a brave man to mention tripods.

The Germans would actually indicate the difference between light and SF roles by designating the beasts lMG-34 or lMG-42 and sMG-34 or sMG-42 respectively, the little letter standing for "leichte" or "schwere" respectively.

British practice, in contrast to German and American, is to call rifle-calibre tripod MGs "medium" (MMGs) and reserve "heavy" for weapons of 12.7mm (0.5") calibre and above. I believe the Russians also designate HMGs in a similar way.

All the best,

John.

[ November 15, 2002, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: John D Salt ]