Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

3d init error

Ok, I try to start the demo, it starts by giving me the option to start at 640x480 it will not accept to change, if i try to change I get the following message: Program Error

Could not initialize Direct3D graphics.

I have a AMD Thunderbird 900, 32meg GEforce2GTS, 640 RAM, directX 8, Win98se.

The detonator is 4.13 (could it be?)

If I try to run it in 640x480 the result is it won't. (min600x800)

My dislay settings are at 1280x1032 32bit

After a couple of 640x480 resolutions (with different refresh rates), the error you see is normal. At that point CM (and DirectX) assume that no resolution is coming up on your display and hence will error out after the lowest resolution/refresh rate combination. Launching CMBB again will take you through the process again.

Are you only offered 640x480 resolutions ? Do these resolutions mention 'Software Mode' in the middle line of text ? If so, then CM/DirectX isn't recognizing your card as being a DirectX 3D accelerator. I suggest running the DirectX Diagnostic (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DXDIAG) and go to the Display tab. Check that all three of the settings on the left hand side of the tab are 'enabled' and then run the tests on the right hand side (DirectDraw & Direct3D). If these pass, then something is strange about your setup. If they don't, then a reinstallation of DirectX and your video drivers may be in order.

To find the actual 'Detonator' version go to Control Panel > Display control panel > Settings tab > Advanced... button > there should be a 'GeForce 2 GTS' tab > in here you should find your Detonator version listed as the last set of info behind each file listed in the box at the bottom. A typicaly number might look like 4.13.01.2942; the last four digits in this case indicate that this is Detonator 29.42.

Even though CM detects your display for 640x480 resolution, it isn't until later that you're told that 800x600 is the minimum. Thus on the PC (I'm not sure of the Mac) Software Mode (rendering) is not possible with CMBB.

here's what I got when I made that test:

Direct3D test results: Failure at step 18 (CreateDevice): HRESULT = 0x887602eb (unknown error)

AGP texturing test results: Failure at step 18 (CreateDevice): HRESULT = 0x887602eb (unknown error)

What does it mean? I've had no problms with anything else before?