a question for the historians

Actually, I heard a rumour that BTS were so impressed with the depth and extent of ICS's knowledge of all aspects of WW2 that they were thinking of adding ICS to the CMBB beta test team. In fact as I understand it the intent was that ICS would entirely replace the current crop of dullards since he knows everything they would be superfluous.

Originally posted by ASL Veteran:

Well, you know that the Iron Chef always likes to jump in and add an insightful comment or two to most threads on the forum. His mastery of WW2 minutae is rather impressive - even Groglike on occasion.

So the NKVD were nice people? All i was adding was that they were not soldiers, and i thought they were scumbags.

Was i wrong in correcting someone to the fact that they were not soldiers, but an evolution of the Cheka who served the same purpose under Lenin?

Originally posted by ASL Veteran:

Well, you know that the Iron Chef always likes to jump in and add an insightful comment or two to most threads on the forum. His mastery of WW2 minutae is rather impressive - even Groglike on occasion.

So this is all you and your friend have to add to this thread? This has what to do with the NKVD again? Now when you mention trollish posts....does yours kind of jump out at you?

If i think the NKVD were scum bags, then how does this make me a troll? I've read about them and thier predecessors and what they did turns my stomach. Though they did have arguably the best spies in the world at the time.

Originally posted by gatpr:

My Dad a Korean War vet says he witnessed an instance of an NCO shooting a fleeing GI in the midst of a Chinese assault. He says he honestly believed it kept his whole platoon from bugging out. He's also told me of instances of fragging officers.

Interesting. A good contrast with the Australian experience in Korea, where no such episodes occurred. As there is no death penalty under our military law, any NCO who did that would have to be tried for murder. Is there a similar situation under American military law?

I've only ever heard of one incidence of "fragging" in the AMF which occurred during the Vietnam war, just before the end of the tour of one of our infantry battalions. As a consequence, the entire battalion was held back a month, in South Vietnam while the court-martial progressed. Apparently the defendent was placed in close confinement more for his own protection than anything else.

One has to wonder about the discipline of a force where shooting one's own soldiers is apparently commonly accepted and where the soldiers murder their own officers on whim.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Thanks for the info Hof. Just to bring this back on topic - I don't think Feldjäger should be modelled in CM any more than NKVD should. Really, any broken or panicked squad could be routed off the map - where the NKVD would be laying in wait, or the Feldjaeger or whomever - but this would likely not happen in CM's scope, and not in large numbers.

I agree.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Having said that, going back off topic - another German vet confirmed for me that sergeants in the German Army were entitled to salutes from private soldiers (I assume this includes Gefreiten and Obergefreiten, who were officially Mannschaften and not Unteroffiziere). He was speaking of recruit training, but I wonder if you can tell me if this practice extended outside the barracks? How common would it be for a "private" to salute an NCO?

I don't really know. All I can say is that it seems very unlikely that there was a general policy to have soldiers salute every noncom around.

It makes sense and seems plausible that during boot camp and recruit training they would have to salute their instructors and possibly all NCOs around as part of the whole boot camp thingie.

It also seems a bit plausible to have soldiers salute the Spiess (Hauptfeldwebel, company sergeant).

Outside of that I cannot imagine a ubiquitous custom to have soldiers salute NCOs, be it on-base or off-base.

Above comments do not mean that I would have any definite knowledge, they are just my personal gut feeling.