Hey Wild Bill...

Being the lead designer/tester i wonder if you could spare a moment and answer a few questions. I posted the following in another forum, but haven't had much luck with responses. Here it is:

>>>Greetings gents,

Just need a little clarification re: getting crews of abandoned or KO'd (not brewed-up) vehicles off map.

1)I understand that crews that exit off the map edge during an operation are eligible for re-entry, assuming of course their vehicles are recovered and repaired. But what i don't know for sure is do they have to make it to the far edge before games end to be eligible.

Consider a current PBEM game i'm playing. I advance a force of tanks and HTs across the map. As the game progresses i advance farther away from the "friendly" map edge. I then lose a tank near the end of the game, and immediatly command the crew to make for the edge. If he didn't make it to the edge before the clock runs out is he still eligible?

2)In the second game of the operation a portion of the old map is attached to the new map. If the crews were in the old portion that was "deleted" are they considered exited, even though they didn't make it to the edge?

3) In the second game several vehicles were KO'd in the portion of the old map that was used in game 1. Once game 3 starts and the game 1 portion is deleted will these vehicles become eligible for recovery and repair, assuming the crews were exited.

I did a search and had several other questions answered, but not these. Likewise the manual only says to exit the crews ASAP but doesn't specify what "exit" means.

Any and all responses are welcomed<<<

Thank you for your time smile.gif

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

Hey Kingfish!

These are all very good questions. They're always good when you are not sure of the answer (and I'm not frown.gif )

Madmatt has asked the higher powers already about some of these so he may come with a definitive answer from Charles and Steve.

1) I have never really tried this to speak from personal experience. My guess would be that if they do not make it off the edge then they would not be eligible for new vehicles or weapons.

I do know this. As far as I have been able to tell, every disabled tank I have had in an operation has been put back in working order for the next battle. That has been my experience.

2. Here again, my guess would be "No, they would not be eligible, since they did not make it off the map. The portion deleted still had them on the map so I would assume that they would not.

Exit means you take them off the edge of the map by clicking M or F and extending that off the map. That is how I do it.

I hope this helps a little. I also hope to get a firm answer from Steve on this one for you very soon.

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Guest WildBill

This is from Moon, the author of the manual. It is how I perceived these things too, Kingfish. What he says has been my personal experience in design and play.

-----------

You'll never lose poinst for exiting except when you exit a unit which is "eligible for exit" off the WRONG map edge (in that case the opponent gets double points just as when your unit never left the map).

In all other cases, exiting units off the map does not cost you any points. In fact, it denies points due to possible casualties to the opponent.

And no, you don't HAVE to exit crews to have your vehicles remanned. The chance remains the same. (If that's what it says in the manual, then I'm sorry - must be a mistake). However, by exiting them you do deny the opponent the chance to kill them.

Martin

-------------

------------------

Wild Bill Wilder

Wild Bill's Raiders

Director of Scenario Design, The Gamers Net

http://wbr.thegamers.net

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WildBill:

And no, you don't HAVE to exit crews to have your vehicles remanned. The chance remains the same. (If that's what it says in the manual, then I'm sorry - must be a mistake). However, by exiting them you do deny the opponent the chance to kill them.

Martin

-------------

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, just so i understand it, it is not necessary to exit your crews off the map in order to reman your reparied tanks. They can stay in place if i so choose, or at least walk back towards the friendly map edge. Did i get that right?

Also, did he say anything about my #3 question?

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive