Where To Start

As a simulation gamer I have looked at wargaming a couple of times but was put off by the hexagons which required more imagination than I can muster. Then by accident I came across Battlefront.com and immediately ordered CMBB and now I'm hooked. But I realise there is so much to learn. Is there an idiots guide to wargaming? The five books on this website are a bit pricey for me especially as I suspect I would need all four. And one other question while I'm here. What is the web address for more details on the weapons. I could have sworn I saw a link to a battlefront.com page but I cannot now find it?

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by whizbang:

As a simulation gamer I have looked at wargaming a couple of times but was put off by the hexagons which required more imagination than I can muster. Then by accident I came across Battlefront.com and immediately ordered CMBB and now I'm hooked. But I realise there is so much to learn. Is there an idiots guide to wargaming? The five books on this website are a bit pricey for me especially as I suspect I would need all four. And one other question while I'm here. What is the web address for more details on the weapons. I could have sworn I saw a link to a battlefront.com page but I cannot now find it?

You don't need an idiots guide to wargaming, because these games have much more in common with sims than hex-y wargames. The attempt here is to simlulate combat, not abstract it, and it does this well enough that what you need is an idiot's guide to WWII combat and weapon systems. My references are all in the form of books, but I know there are a lot of good websites for that kind of stuff. I'm sure someone will point the way.

For tactics, there are some good articles on www.combatmission.com. They are about BO, but since they are about the tactics themselves, you can easily apply them to BB.

[ October 12, 2002, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Malakovski ]

Here's a good place to start:

Anthology of Useful Posts (especially new players)

If you like sims, your life just changed :D

Krazy

Aw hell, I know you can link to the above post, just don't know. redface.gif

Just go to the main board, Tips&Tricks, scroll down to the Anthology of...and read to your hearts content.

Hope this helps.

Krazy Canuck, the 'puter illiterate :rolleyes:

Whizbang,

I sympathize with you. As flight sim nut, I was in the same boat. That's why I put together that anthology when I was starting out with CMBO.

I figured it might help others. So, I posted my collection of links.

I think you will have a lot of fun with CMBO/BB. It's sort of a cross between a third person simulation and a strategy game.

[ October 12, 2002, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: markshot ]