But HOW do you do it?

I've been reading a lot of the tactical suggestions here and they are great. Trouble is, I can't make them happen because I am still really bad at operating the game. I don't undertand the fundamental operations of each of the game's different playing pieces. I'll read a great suggestion here but I can't implement it. I need some sort of detailed primer that goes beyond the game's tutorial. Is there something like that available?

If you mean the game engine/interface mechanics, I'd recommend reading the manual at least twice cover to cover. After that, try lots of quick battles in varying conditions, and buy different equipment, playing as different countries each time. In each battle, try all the different commands for each unit type to test their effects. You likely won't win by fiddling around this way, but it might be a good learning tool.

Check out the articles/tactics sections at

Combat Mission HQ, Games of War, and MiNa's Combat Mission Page, among others.

------------------

I rode a tank, held a general's rank

When the blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank.

--Rolling Stones

IMO the game mechanics can only be learned by trial and experience. Keep at it, CM's one of those deceptively simple games that are easy to become proficient at, but are impossible to become perfect at.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Read After Action Reports (AARs) wherever you find them. You will get a good idea about how people use their units in different circumstances.

You can find AARs in www.thegamers.net and at wbr.thegamers.net, as well as on this forum. Don't be afraid to read posts that have spoilers, and then replay the battle by using the same tactic as the author.

Experiment, you will learn a lot, and ask specific questions to this forum, for the use of specific equipment or tactics (of course after having searched the forum, to avoid flaming smile.gif).

You will certainly get better the more you play, no silver bullet I'm afraid... smile.gif

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

Practice, practice, practice. Play one scenario two or three times as the same side, seeing what you did wrong and how you can get better. Then play it from the other side to see what the computer does, and to see what you could have done against your previous games. Don't rush off and play every map as soon as you get the game. Pick one or two maps, and play them until you learn something from them.

When playing a game, every turn you should watch your moves, with the camera shifted to the enemy's point of view. Which units are too exposed, and need to be pulled back? What are the best places to ambush your forces? Scout them out with half squads of inf. Could the computer flank you easily? What would you do if it did, and how can you stop this?

Read Fionn's open terrain AAR on CMHQ, the endgame report is filled with questions like these for beginners and grogs alike.

"You will be about to lose, Ender, but you will win. You will learn to defeat the enemy. He will teach you how."

"There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what ou can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you."

-from Ender's Game, the best book on military strategy ever written.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

As the game manual suggests, trust your common sense. (I do not mean this in a flippant way.) I ask myself, "In real life, what would I do with my men in this situation?" (This assumes I know what my units' strengths and weaknesses are, but this you can learn from the manual and by viewing the details on a unit.)

Again, I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, but I think this aspect of the game shows how superior it is.

------------------

When angry, count four; when very angry, swear.

--Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar

[This message has been edited by Rossdaddy (edited 11-02-2000).]