Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

minimizes to desktop and thats it.

from dave.

having problems getting game to run get start screen then minimizes to desktop and thats it have tryed everything in troubleshooting nothing works can you help will attach sys properties.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) (2600.xpclnt_qfe.010827-1803), System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.

System Model: VT8366-8233, BIOS: VIA694 - 42302e31

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 1900+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1603MHz, Memory: 256MB RAM

Page File: 126MB used, 492MB available, DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)

DxDiag Version: 5.01.2600.0000 32bit Unicode, Card name: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 100/200

Avance AC97 Audio

Thanks dave.

What video driver version are you (he) using ? The default one that comes with Windows XP is based on the 12.40 Detonator. This driver has some display problems with CM, but I don't think it would cause the behavior that is mentioned here (CM automatically minimizing when launched).

If you click on the program in the taskbar does anything happen, such as the program disappearing or just nothing ? Have you (or he) seen the resolution selection screens ? Is there a prefs file in your CM directory (assuming that you've installed to the default directory this would be C:\PROGRAM FILES\CMBO\Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs) ? Is the CM CD inserted ? Do you see a black dialog box on the screen with no text in it ?

The possibility here is that there are two problems at work. One is the 12.40 default driver whic will show white colors as transparent (resulting in white text being invisible on a black background) and a possible incompatibility with the CDROM drive and XP (for CM's copy protection check). The video driver problem can be solved by installing the latest official or beta NVidia driver (29.42 or later). This will fix the white transparency problem. The next problem is a bit harder. Sometimes setting the program Properties (right-click on launch icon and select Properties and go to the Compatibility tab) to be 'Windows 2000 compatible'. This solves the problem for some. For others it may require updating the CD/DVD drive's firmware (if there is an update) or possibly getting another drive. I'd also suggest installing the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers. You may also want to check for any BIOS updates to your motherboard (which, interesting to note, has its basis in a much older VIA chipset for Intel CPUs - but that shouldn't be the problem here).

From Dave R.

Thanks for the reply will try to ans your question’s.

Latest drivers from nivida being used.

If I click on program black screen reappears then minimizes again and continues doing this.

There is no prefs file and cmcd is in and tried compaterbility and latest bios installed.

Thanks dave.

Since you have no prefs file then CM hasn't finished initializing and selecting a resolution. The first time you launch CM (on the PC) it should prompt you to select resolutions. If you can't see these, then there is something wrong with DirectX or your video drivers. If the screen appeared scrambled then it is possible that CM is attempting too high of a refresh rate (CM will typically start at your current desktop resolution, but it will try the highest refresh rate available to the video card and monitor at that resolution).

I don't know why CM would minimize during the resolution selection process. Typically it will go through a number of progressively lower resolutions (where you have to hit the Enter key or click on OK on the screen to select), until the last available one is put up. At that point CM will typically give you a DirectX error (since you didn't select a resolution).

Do you have any programs or utilities loaded up when you attempt to play CM ? You may want to shut down any of these programs. It's possible that some utility may be interfering, though I have no idea what it could be.

Do you run any other games on this computer ? I suggest running the DirectX Diagnostic tests to check out the system (though they may pass and you could still have problems with CM). Go to Start Menu > Run Program > type in C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTX\SETUP\DXDIAG. This should launch the DirectX Diagnostic; go to the Display tab and you should have several buttons available at approximately the middle of the screen. If these buttons are labelled 'Disable', then the feature is Enabled. On the other side are some test you can run try the DirectDraw one first and then the other two. I'd assume that these will pass, if they don't, then you have some DirectX or video driver problems. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to reinstall DirectX alone on WinXP since Microsoft doesn't distribute a separate executable to install for it.