Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Query re newcomer to laptop

I love CMBO and am really looking forward to CMBB

My problem is that , for various reasons, I shall need to convert for the first time to using a "laptop"-- a type of computer with which I am totally unfamiliar. Could I please ask (before I commit to a purchase) the following questions (with apologies if they are naive)

1. Will CMBB be playable successfully on a laptop?

2)If feasible , what would be the ideal specs to try and achieve with a new laptop re processor

Windows OS

Memory

Sound Card

Graphics Card

Other features

Specific Make

I should be extremely grateful for any advice which will clarify what I need to get to make CMBB successfully playable on a laptop.

NB With such a set up would CMBO still be playable on such a system.

Many thanks for any help and advice

I recently switched over to a laptop myself.

I purchase a Dell Inspiron 8200 this past April. You'll be happy to know that it handles CMBO no problem and I don't anticipate any problems with CMBB.

My Inspiron has a 1.6 GHz P4-M processor and a 64MB video card. At the time I bought it, it was one of the only laptops available with a 64MB video card. Now there are more manufacturers offering this option.

Switching to a laptop is inevitably a trade-off as far as gaming performance goes. For the cost of my Inspiron, I could have built an AMAZING desktop with the best video card, a huge monitor, etc. The fact of the matter is, I spend over 100 days/year on the road, so being "CM mobile" was more important to me than having the maximum screen acreage or etc.

Obviously, I only have direct experience with my own laptop, so I can't give you any kind of comprehensive view of what is the best out there. Here's my input on your questions:

1. Windows OS - I am using Windows XP and have experienced no problems at all running CMBO. I would be very surprised if CMBB has problems with this OS.

2. Memory - I am currently at 256MB and will probably upgrade to 512MB in the near future. One of the nice things about Dell laptops is that the memory is user-upgradable without voiding the warranty. More memory is always better. I wouln't do less than 256MB, especially with Widows XP being somehthing of a memory-hog.

3. Sound card - I don't remember the brand of the one that came with my Dell of the top of my head, but it works great. I usually hook it up to external speakers when I am at home and the sound quality is very good.

4. Graphics Card - IMHO this is where you really want to spend your money as far as playing CM is concerned. CMBO ran fine on my old desktop with a 32MB card. It looks much better, and I can navigate around the map much more smoothly, with the 64MB card. AFAIK CMBB's 'reccommended' video card is 32MB, so I'm sure it will run fine on my 64MB card.

5. Other features - A large (15") screen, a headphone jack, a good-sized hard drive for storing mods and PBEMs, and some kind of removable storage for backing up and archiving (I use a CD-R drive, but some prefer a zip drive).

6. Specific make and model - Once again, I only have direct experience with my Dell. In general, you want a big "desktop replacement" laptop, not one of the smaller "slimline" models. You will have a hard time getting all the features and performance you need in a slimline (especially the 64MB Graphics Card), and slimline also tend to have overheating problems when running graphics intensive programs like CM. Desktop replacement models have a bit more room inside, and my Dell also has 2 circulation fans which helps.

Dell gets consistently high scores for reliability and customer service from the major computer mags. The other model I looked at closely was the Toshiba - also a great reliability record. Toshiba didn't have as much flexibility as far as options and software, though, so in order to get what I wanted in terms of video card from them, I would have had to pay for a lot of other software and stuff I didn't want. Recently (after I bought), Alienware has started making gaming laptops in addition to their desktop line of gaming machine. I have heard mixed things about thier customer service, though, so I would be careful with them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

YD

To Yankeedog and Be Wary

Very many thanks to you both for the comprehensive and helpful replies. You have helped me clarify my thinking and removed many fears.

One final query-- I suppose the relevance of Direct X and the need to upgrade this occasionally is still relevant???

Cheers

Originally posted by pcelt:

To Yankeedog and Be Wary

Very many thanks to you both for the comprehensive and helpful replies. You have helped me clarify my thinking and removed many fears.

One final query-- I suppose the relevance of Direct X and the need to upgrade this occasionally is still relevant???

Cheers

Yep. Just like any pc.