Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Russian arty question

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

I just bought 2 russian 152mm howitzer FOs in a QB (Nov. '41).One of them represents divisional arty and has a blast value of 280, one represents cops arty and has a blast value of 303.

Why the difference? Did corps/divisional arty use different models/ammo?

One of them is the ML-20 152mm Gun/Howitzer, the other one is the BR-2 152mm Gun. IIRC Corps can have either (or both), while the Guns are seperate regiments only.

[EDIT] Could also be M-10 152mm Howitzers, I'll look up what went where because there was a lot of shuufling/reorganization going on at the time.

[ September 21, 2002, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Foxbat ]

From what I was able to find it seems that both Corps and Division were authorised 152mm Howitsers or Gun-Howitsers, as available.

The difference in the game probably reflects the heavier nature of the Corps Howitzers (152mm only) compared to the Divisional heavy artillery (122&152mm Howitzers).

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Thx for your answers, Foxbat. So, divisional and corps arty used different models of 152mm howitzers, did I get that right?

Yes, No.. Possibly

In theory Division was assigned the M10 Howitzer, and Corps the ML20 Gun-Howitzer.

But M10s were few and far between (especially after the shooting had started) and Gun-Howitzers could be substituted until production of succesor could be ramped up in 1943.