Where are the tanks in v 1.1 public beta?

Ive noticed a slight oddity in v 1.1 beta. I noticed this problem as I love playing those 700-1000pt quick battle meeting engagements using combined arms...letting the AI pick both sides. Anyway, the problem is that the AI seems to be adverse to buying tanks/armor in these setups...unlike ver 1.5. There was never a problem in ver 1.5 with the computer not tossing me one or 2 tanks/tank hunters in these small battles. However,there were rare times when I was issued no armor support...unlike in ver 1.1 beta where no armor is the norm in a combined arms meeting engagement. I was issued one Hummel out of around 25 battles...the rest of the force and games being all infantry/halftracks. I set this up several times in 1.5 as a comparison and was issued some type of armor in all but 1 battle. Odd to say the least. Anyway the other changes are great, but i liked the random set ups better in v 1.5. BTW, this also applies to the AI's forces as I selected the armor force for my setup and gave him the combined arms...here I noticed that he was issued all infantry w/ one halftrack.

Guest Madmatt

I just ran some controled test in Hotseat and didnt notice the results you did. In ten battles of Combined Arms I saw in each at least one vehicle per side.

I do think this may need to be tweaked some more though. I think the problem is that the AI is much better at using up all the points available to it and is buying platoons and companies instead of the higher ticket priced tanks.

I will mention this to Charles to have a look. It seems the Armor setting works well though and in my first test I was given a King Tiger which I had never had happen before, of course the other side got a full platoon of M18's so it would have been a really tight contest.

Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

Okay, heard back from both Steve and Charles and they basically said that if you want to see more armor then either bump up the point totals to 1000 or above or use the Armor option. At an 800 point battle a single tank represents about 15% of your total point allotment and this in line with the ratios that we are going for. Defenders are also not as likely to have tanks as the attacker.

There have been many tweaks made in this area (I got about a half dozen rapid fire emails from both guys within 5 minutes!) adnd they have assured me that it is much more realistic now over how it was. You will also rarely be inundated with excess halftracks or useless vehicles that were commonplace before.

Basically, it sounds like you want a Armored Formation. For that, then just select the Armor option and I think you will get what you are looking for.

Madmatt

Thanks for taking a look at this. I tried your suggestions and ended up with a better overall force...1-2 PZIVGs on 1000pt combined arms battle and plenty of tanks/TDs on the armor selection. I wish the AI would throw me a King Tiger once in a while smile.gif...and your right, that would have been an interesting battle.

Thanks again