Chance Encounter: Axis Total Victory

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Patrick Moore:

I would like to see a couple of veterans dueling in this scenario!

I need all the help I can get in CMBO! I suck so bad against the AI usually on the losing end regardless of which side I choose! lol

Actually, Shosties4th and I are going to play some other battles, we're both kinda burnt out on CE...although CE version 2 is a new ballgame, I've only seen the German setup (never played it) but it is *different* all right ;) </font>

Yo All!

I havent been around recently, but I LOOOVE chance encounter and play it whenever I can. The challange is diffrent for each side. The americans have good infantry but it's all to no avail when the SMG's get in close. They do have a lot of armor, though. The germans HQ's with morale bonus's are more than worth there weight in gold due to the german troops green and conscrip stats. Only having three assault guns against five real tanks is not helpfull either. I have won and lost this one multiple times from both sides. For the americans, I usually base my strategem on two basic ideas- take the corners of the field. That means taking the scattered treed hill in front of the church, and hanging on to that house at the corner of the cornfield. The real challange is that you have to accomplish diffucult terrain-taking tasks with little arty support- the germans have one 81mm spotter with only 30 rounds, or two turns worth of ammo. The allies really have to rely on there 3 60mm mortars, witch really shine in this role. The great thing about the 60mms is that although they don't move as fast as the infantry, (like 2 inchers) there greater range and blast allow them to tag along with the troops but hang back just a bit to keep out of the main part of the firefight and provide close support (i.e. targeting indivudual platoons, MG nests, ect.). But, they can also (I do this a lot) group all three of my mortars together, hook them up with a HQ and the 50 cal and pop them on the hill in front of the church. I set up the mortars in a HQ spotting-role and there combined firepower often can turn the tide of battle at a critical momnent. The 50 cal defends the hill and with a LOS to half the map makes jerries hit the dirt at ranges of 1000 meters. The firefight between the House/w orchard (scattered trees) next to the cornfield and the elevated woods at the left of the map is often intense but the AI tries to rush the position peicemeal and of course fails misribly. I pop a 30. cal into the upstairs and keep his head down for the most part becuse he gets suppresed pretty bad up there with enemnies hidden in the woods. I have-im pop up and murder them when they DO charge all at once. I also keep a reserve hidden happily head down (100% cover) behind the stone wall at the rear of the cornfield. When it's getting to hot in the farmhouse, I split the squads and have each of them plot an area fire line about 15 meters apart in a line at the heaviest area of enemny concentration. That saturation effect doesn't kill many but does a number on suppresion.

Well, I'l post more on axis and stug tactics a little later. But I can say now that it does'nt pay to get to cocky with your shermans and with the stug-guns you have to be SAVVY.