Weather influence in CMBB

Hi Guys,

I couldn’t find a previous topic about this subject, so I decided to start this one. I was reading the CMBB preview made by Garry "kump" Kump located at the outpost website yesterday. I’m also reading Beevor’s book about the battle in and around Stalingrad at the moment. Between the two of them I got curious after the effects of weather in CMBB. I don’t mean the waving trees and the smoke that’s blown in one direction, although I am not at all complaining about these effects.

The thing I’m after is what the weather does to the troops and the way they behave in reaction to their environment. I have already picked up on the reduction in effectiveness of troops when it’s freezing, which is a good thing. I’m not keen on going out when it gets below –10 degrees myself.

I’m wondering what for example a foxhole will look like (or should I say behave according to a certain rating) when the soil is frozen solid. I can imagine that the change of hitting troops dug in in a shallow frozen quickly constructed foxhole is higher than when the same troops are dug in in a deeper hole during the summer.

I can also image that during heavy snowfall it is hard for troops to stay in their foxholes or pre-prepared shelters because they run the risk of snowing in. In Beevor’s book it’s mentioned that dug in soldiers had to leave their prepared winter shelter because of excessive snowfall.

Are things like this are going to be modeled in CMBB and/or is this taken into account in the hitting percentage or the way troops are dug in (if at all).

Just felt like posting this.

Mies

I think it is safe to say that there is a much bigger range of weather possibilities and that the effect on troops can be quite large apparently.

On the specifics like how foxholes are affected I couldn't say simply because I don't know exactly and don't want to mislead from ignorance. However, it is safe to deduce that the deeper the snow or mud, the slower the movement and such.

BDH

Yeah, after reading Kump's report I was rather curious about the effect of wind on shot accuracy, at least of the big bore guns. I would imagine that it would have a negative impact upon less experienced troops' accuracy, with veterans and above being more readily able to compensate for windage effects.