Has this been done?

I started working on a map that has a river running down the middle of it. On either side of the river are two bases (these are also the starting positions for each player) The main objectives are to protect your base and take your opponents. Minor objectives include the 3 bridges and 6 crossroads. Has this type of scenario been done before? I would appreciate any information and any comments.

It is definately fictional. Each side of the river is a mirror image of the other (although that could change to make it more challenging) I wanted a scenario where you could start off with a fixed force in a safe location and could attack known positions. There would be just enough points to allow a moderate attack force with barely enough left to defend the base or vice versa. I don't think artillery would be allowed at the very beginning of the scenario. Anyway, I think this would definately have to be a two human player map. I am not sure how the AI would be on it. I am open to any ideas you experienced people may have. I thought of this with the idea that it would force a player to think extremely tactical.

Myth has a ctf gametype that provides very interesting strategic issues (which would be much the same with your map).

Basically scouting is absolutely key, you have to know what's coming towards you and what defensive positions there are. Using a light screen to clear away enemy scouts is a good idea. Sharpshooters in hiding are very hard to flush out though.

Using your force mainly as one mass for a big push is an option but artillery and a flexible defense makes a single thrust a risky proposition.

Ranged armor is useful to quickly deploy fire power into another area of the map.

Infantry is required for scouting and any significant assault.

A feint in this type of game would be a useful strategy.

Not even remotely historical but a great deal of fun and challenging.

This might even be a "replayable" map.

-marc

Thanks for the feedback. I hope more forum members will send a note regarding this setup. With three bridges you could secure one and blow the other two (they are wooden bridge) thus controlling the only avenue of approach to your base. I need to work on creating a "barrier" around the bases so that you have a one or more "fixed" entrance/exits. So far the map is absolutely flat. I know the rule is to start with terrain first but on this kind of map I didn't think it made sense as I was doing the symmetrical thing. Again, thanks for the feeback. I will let you all know as I develop it more and get it completed. If anyone would like to help with this I would be more than happy to share what I have.