In that case...

The AI doesn't attack well, so it's best if you attack and let the AI defend.

Keep it small at first - 7-800 pts is enough to buy an inf. company, some artillery, and a few AFVs.

As I said earlier, mud and snow can be a pain, but not every day is sunny in RL.

Save the night fights until you get some experience - they can be brutal.

Otherwise, experiment with different dates, forces, and conditions. One of the great things about CM is the endless variety possible.

I (and my 8-year-old stepson) play 7-800 pt QBs all the time. The settings I find most fun to play are Combined Arms with no restrictions on nationality and random everything with the computer buying units for both sides. Games like this usually only take 30 mins. or so to play and since everything's randomized, each one is different.

Alternately, buy just your own units (the AI makes some odd choices sometimes) but leave the other side to purchase automatically so you won't know what you're up against.

The map types that seem to be the most fun for this type of battle are village and farmland with light/moderate trees and small/medium hills.

My first contribution.

I like to pick mildly hilly farmland which provides a variety of terrain along with line of sight blockage.

I also like to cut back on line of sight by choosing snowfall or rain conditions.

This way a small battlefield, which is best for a short QB, doesn't offer unlimited visibility. More fun to grope forward till contact at an unexpected place.

I also prefer to choose my own units, usually as wide a variety as possible within the constraints of the points allowed. The rough idea is a hodgepodge of elements thrown together to deal with an emergency situation.

To sum up, I like a short QB as difficult and unpredictable as possible. More challenging that way.

Then again, I will sometimes take a somewhat perverse approach just for the fun of it. All flamethrower units vs all mortar units, for eg.

That's the beautiful thing about CM... infinite possibilities.