Probe, Attack, Assault

Can someone please explain the differences between these three types of scenario formats? Intuitively, it would seem that the attacker in a Probe would have to accomplish less, objective-wise, than in, say, an Assault. But how are victory points determined?

Thanks.

Not sure how this affects victory points in the game but...

A Probe is an offensive "reconnaisance" used to determine the enemy disposition and reaction time. Can be used to gain S-2 for future operations or as a feint to draw off reserves from actual avenue of approach.

An Attack is a general offensive action along an axis of advance (specific route) or geographical area with the purpose of killing, capturing, or routing the enemy. Called a Movement to contact now...

An Assault is a deliberate attack on a specific point or location where the enemy has established a defence with the idea of capturing said area and destroying it's defenders.

Hope this helps...

Also, both the ratio of attacker / defender and the location of the VLs will differ with each game type.

IIRC, the differences are:

Meeting engagement - 1:1 (att / def) with the VLs located in the neutral center

Probe - 1.25:1 (I'm drawing a blank as to where the flags are located)

Attack - 1.50:1 with the VLs located a 1/3 from the defenders map edge

Assault - 1.75:1 with the VLs located a 1/4 from the defenders map edge

I could be wrong on some of the numbers, but it does give you a general idea.

I played a probe scenario for the first time, last night. The scenario begins with all the victory flags toward the middle median of the map, immediately behind the defender's line. It's harder to defend and hold them, this way, compared to assault and attack scenarios.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Azlan ]</p>

The defender in Probe, Attack, and Assault gets foxholes for his troops. There is more ground to defend in a probe, but the attack/defence ratio, as mentioned in a post above, is less biased in favour of the attacker.Trying to defend all the VL locations in a Probe game will probably string out your forces too thinly to be effective.

Louie, Think of a probe as an unsupported attack with limited objectives and no requirement to hold ground taken. Contact is usually broken once the probing element runs into something bigger than itself. The game requires us to take "victory flags" of course but seems to adjust these so that losses have more affect on the final "score" than in other scenarios.

I think Kingfish is hitting on all cylinders here, although I thought the ratio for probes was 1.35:1, attacker to defender. Whichever it is, the difference is minor.

As far as VL locations, the easiest way to think of it is the flags are about in the middle of the defender's setup zone on an attack; forward in the zone on a probe and back in the zone on assaults.

Got a daisy chain and a regular mine field. This is an infantry defense as well. The stationary 88 a few mg halftracks and possibly 2 companies of infantry with a little arty support.

Unfortunately I am going to have to save this one for awhile since my pbem opponent and I are starting up Wild Bill's The Wrong Hill.

patient Toad

I don't mean to come down on what is the best game I've ever played, but I stick with MEs and scenarios now, as I find the attackers advantage to be too great. Not played too many assaults/probes though.

Just what I've noticed over 20 or so games. 1.5:1 seems a bit arbitrary, and scientifically you'd expect it to favour one side over the other over a lot of games.

just my 2p