Movement distance?

I really like this game but one thing I can't figure out is how to tell how far a unit can move in one turn. It frustrates me when I'm trying to get units to an area and see them stop after 40 sec. when they could have moved another 15-20 sec. So how do you tell when a unit has reached it's movement distance available in 60 sec?

Eric

You, well, er, um...can't. mad.gif

To get around this, place your waypoints all the way to your destination. You can always delete them later if you change your mind. Also, be aware that orders all given on the same turn will have no execution delay between them. If you add a waypoint to a path on a later turn, there will be a pause (just like if you started from a stop) before the unit will continue its movement. That's the difference between white and red waypoint markers.

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EricM:

I really like this game but one thing I can't figure out is how to tell how far a unit can move in one turn. It frustrates me when I'm trying to get units to an area and see them stop after 40 sec. when they could have moved another 15-20 sec. So how do you tell when a unit has reached it's movement distance available in 60 sec?

Eric<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I admit I am having a little trouble figuring out why this is an issue. I generally don't care a lick where my units are at the end of a turn. I plot them to move from feature to feature. If it takes them half a minute fine. If it takes a minute and a half, fine too. The end of the turn in this game is not such a big thing.

What matters is that they have a reasonable measure of protection while they are moving, whether that protection is provided by terrain, smoke, or suppressive fire by covering friendly units.

One thing I will do if I have a lot of open ground to cross and no chance of smoke, is to move them in short bounds to folds in the ground and have them stop and hide (i.e. "hit the dirt). This exposes them to a minimum of hostile fire. If things are hot, I have them and other friendlies return fire. If things are cool, I advance them farther the next turn. Repeat as needed until you get them where you want them.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Target:

This topic answers a question I had, but also raises another one. If I plot movement for a unit over long distances, how would I plot overwatch movement? Would this involve the pause function? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. Pauses only effect the start of a turn.

Clarification: If the distance to be covered by your unit will take more than one turn, you can pause it at the start of each turn. Thing is, you want to be careful you don't pause it somewhere awkward, like in the middle of a clear patch in sight of heavily armed savages.

Michael

I have had some success in plotting overwatch just by moving squads in the formation I want them in regardless of the distance. The problem is that sometimes my point squad(s) doesn't always take point because of the command delay.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Target:

how would I plot overwatch movement?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do some "Sneak" here and there. That's pretty close to overwatch.

If I want my troops (infantry) to move continously a long way, I usually plot a series of "Move" orders along the route. Then I change some of these into "Sneak" as I see fit, one turn ahead. It works fairly well.

Cheers

Olle