Quasi-Historical QBs

Does anyone play quasi-historical QBs? I've been trying this and really like it. For example:

Liberation of Moutiers

Briefing: The crack Free French 30th Battalion has the task of liberating the town of Moutiers. Moutiers is heavily fortified and held by a Volkstruum company. Late last night they were reinforced with elements of a newly formed SS group.

Settings: 2000pt assault, german defending, town, moderate woods/hills, snow, small map, 30 turns.

German: (combined arms, green) Must buy 1 company of Volkstruum. Remainder can be Volkstruum/SS and/or fortifications.

Allies: (combined arms, french). All purchases must be crack or elite. Balanced purchase (50% of the points in each category must be purchased[inf-support-vehicle-armor-artillery]). No more than 3 of any armor/vehicle type allowed.

Arty limit of 155 for both sides.

Has anyone else tried this type of QB?

-marc

Yes

I also like fictional games. I have a fictional battle set in 1957 on a moon of Europa.

About a 25,000 point armor battle. Terrain is interesting as there are no trees or anything. Just snow and ice.

Lots of KTs, Panthers, Tigers, JagdTigers vs Pershings, Super Pershings, M38 TDs. Each side has good guns and about a battalion of troops.

Gen

I used to use a system somewhat like that for my QB's with a couple of my opponents. Since the plain ol' QB (hmm, he's going to pick Vet SMG's, I better pick Vet paras--repeat ad nauseum) I would try to think up an appropriate almost-quasi-historical setting (Market-Garden, Ardennes), write a paragraph about the background of the battle, and then try to pick the forces based on the description (eg. May, '45, I would describe a little town being fanatically defended by Green SS, and hopefully the force mix would show it). However, (1) I wasn't motivated enough to actually look up a German town that had such a battle in it (my description would read "a quaint German town...") and (2) I wasn't bold enough to actually specify limits to the force mix, but looking back it might have been a good idea.

-whew- Long answer, full of ramblings of an old man. What I should have said is just...

Yep, I love your idea and we've used it before. It really helps spice up QB's. smile.gif

pilgrim

Edited for foolish mistakes. smile.gif

Edit #2 to add this comment: ROFLOL at your response above, Marc. :D

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: pilgrim ]

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: pilgrim ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xerxes:

You should post your market garden and Ardennes descriptions.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL. I think too many years of being an engineer has completely smothered what little talent I used to have in creative writing. You could probably find better quality if you perused bunch of book reports done by 5th graders. smile.gif

So, no thanks for the publishing offer, unless the royalties are going to be substantial--the backgrounds served their purpose and then gracefully made their way into the Trash Can. However, here's one of the ones that I enjoyed most, just because we played a couple variations of it:

Mechanized meeting engagement in the evening rain (June/July '44). The premise was that a German Mechanized ~Battalion had been ordered to reach the town by evening in order to prepare for the expected US attack in the morning, while the US Battalion was under the impression (poor recon/scouting) that the town was still empty and were really humping it, trying to get somewhere dry for the night. It added credibility to the not-so-historically-accurate Meeting Engagement. smile.gif

Let me hear of some of your other creations when you get the chance...

pilgrim

Dragon's Teeth:

American troops move in on the Siegfried Line. Attempting to clear out the preliminary defences, the 101st mechanized supported by engineering elements assaults the outer ring of the Siegfried line near Malheim. Heavy fortifications are expected, this will be tough and slow going.

3000 pt Assault -30% attacker strength, Farmlands, moderate woods, small hills, March '45, fog.

Americans: Combined arms (regular quality), mechanized. No naval artillery.

Germans: Infantry, low quality, must spend at least:

* 250 pts on antipersonnel mines

* 75 pts on antitank mines

* 100 pts on wire

* 100 pts on roadblocks.

Arty limit of 150.

-marc

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xerxes:

Germans: Infantry, low quality, must spend at least:

* 250 pts on antipersonnel mines

* 75 pts on antitank mines

* 100 pts on wire

* 100 pts on roadblocks.

Arty limit of 150.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm, ahem -- *cough* *cough* -- That's about the amount I usually spend on fortifications in defending an attack/assault (except for the roadblocks). :D Needless to say, I've had some very shocked opponents the first time they attack me. And, in a nod to another thread...the map edges are extremely helpful for the defender if you take this type of approach. smile.gif

pilgrim

I'd love to, with a couple of warnings...

1. I can only do PBEM, due to time constraints.

2. Due to those same time constraints of #1, (wife, 4 kids, old house smile.gif ), while I used to be able to send out a turn or two a day, I'm now down to 2-3 turns per week, so my games are going quite slowly. If this kills your interest, that's fine...maybe we can plan something for later in the year (Holiday Season?) with CMBO, or even maybe using CMBB? I should have more time then.

3. You aren't going to see any CM Grand Master Guru defensive skill. I'm about 50-50, with roughly 35 PBEM games played. Furthermore, on the defense I can usually win the first one due to surprise. Playing against an opponent for the first time who is in your situation--never having seen this used before--it is easier to get the win. It usually takes them the first 5-7 turns to figure out what in the world I'm doing. smile.gif However, having lost the element of surprise, I have to admit that I have less-than-average defensive skill.

4. I'm not a member of TH. I've enjoyed my PBEM opponents so much I've never wanted to join, just because the verbal thrashing we give each other for losing is enough motivation. I've always been a bit wary of what kind of play I'd be facing against someone who is desperate to keep a high ranking. I'm not at all bashing TH; I've just been extremely pleased with the quality of my opponents without it.

So, give it a thought. You can either keep our personal thread going here smile.gif or email me to let me know what you think. Either way is fine with me.

pilgrim