"Strategy" for purchasing units.

Just wondering how people approach this.

I, being naturally cheap, shop almost exclusively for bargins.

Just the other day I found a Sturm Company in '42 that comes with HMGs, some lmgs and 6 (count'em) 75mm AT guns. What a defensive buy!

In any case, I try and buy battalions and armor platoons.

I also noticed that in smaller point games to buy an Soviet infantry battalion it looks like you need to get a pioneer battalion.

Pioneers are very nice for the Soviets, b/c they don't come with organic FT teams, and they have the ordnance that gives them the decent AT-capability that is so lacking for the USSR.

Soviet Recon Battalions are nice... 8 Rifles, 3 SMG, 1 LMG. Maybe I'm wrong, they might be the ones w/ no LMG, but like 65 ammo as a result. The Recon Battalion is actually cheaper than the Company, b/c the only difference is the addition of the Bn HQ, and the subsequent "extra" discount of Bn purchase instead of Coy.

I like how the German and Soviet infantry types (at least early to mid-war) have many choices, so you can "customize" your OOB and/or "squeeze in" more troops by playing around w/ pt. levels and/or exp.levels. For example, buy a German Rifle 41 Coy for your maneuver Plts, and then a Plt of Panzer Rifle or Recon 41 (2 LMG/squad, but low ammo) for mobile suppression troops.

Armor platoons make a lot of sense for the Germans (radios!) but can hurt you as the typically radio-less Soviets, the cost-reduction is questionable.

I try to base my decisions on the mission and the parameters surrounding it. For instance, if I am playing in the rain on a rural map then I do not typically purchase heavy tanks. In CMBB, I notice that I purchase more machine guns than I used to. I don't care if they are slow, those babies rock. I think thats why I like the Soviet M17 halftrack. I had one catastrophically brew up a kraut armored car the other day...what a sight! :cool:

[ December 11, 2002, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Commander ]

It really depends on who you are playing against. Some people get all bent out of shape if you mix units that wouldn't "typically" be fighting together; i.e Romanian troops and SS armor. I normally check this out with my oppenent beforehand to avoid problems.

As far as unit selection goes CMBB has really changed my notions on choice of units. Having my KT ko'd by Stuarts has definitely gotten old. Maybe I am getting tired of all the tank battles but I now tend to pick more inf, thin-skinned AFVs, and definitely more MGs. One exception to the AFV is the Stug. Even with no turret its a nice lil bit for punching holes in Ruskie armor. And you can buy more to protect your flanks. Haven't played a lot with the Allies but the M17 is a new personal favorite. I love chewing up squads with that beast.