Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Game crashes, always wants to reinstall

Hello I have bought Combat Mission Beyond Overlord. Unfortunately the game crashes after 2 to 90 seconds. Nothing specific seems to cause this crash. Sometimes I have played 1.5 turns before the crash. The crash is complete and I have to reboot my computer.

I think that the game is not installing properly. Here is what I have tried and what has happened.

When I start the game the picture of the tank + soldiers comes up as a window, not covering the complete screen. Sometimes this picture is mixed up with the right half being on the left. Then the picture disappears for a second showing my desktop before a question appears Do you accept DX graphics. The game then loads as normal and crashes.

However I downloaded the patch cm112.exe and a no cd patch and the game starts up as normal, but still crashes. So the download seems to work. I am not so sure about the files from the CD.

I have read some of the comments about overheating and tried taking the cover of my computer, but the game still crashed. Also it did not appear to be hot inside.

My system exceeds all the requirements of the game so I do not think that this is a hard ware problem. The CD does not appear to have any scratches.

Also when I install the game I have noticed that the installation appears to go very quickly after it has reached the 60% stage. Also every time I take the game CD and put it back into my CD drive the auto installation wizard starts. I am write in thinking that the CD is not installing correctly and what can I do about it?

Please help

Hmmmmm......no cd patch?

Sounds like CDV's "Safe Disc" is doing it's job. :D

Note.....If you have the CDV retail version, just install as normal.....when you put the game disc in and the "install" option comes up just cancel out and click on the desktop to start the game. ( it's a CDV problem).

If you have a illegal copy of the game (warez,ect) then shame on you......you won't find any help here. :(

Note.....The CDV version of CMBB has a faulty auto-installer not CMBO-SE.

[ October 18, 2003, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Panzertruppe ]

If you do have the CDV version of the game you also can not use the CM112.EXE patch from this website to patch that game. The CD may already be at v. 1.12 (I can't recall). The Battlefront.com patch is for the Internet version of CMBO that uses a different copy protection scheme (and hence won't recognize your CD).

I don't know how well those 'no CD' patches work either, since they may be expecting the Internet version, I don't know.

Yes...the CDV version is at 1.12 so does not need patching. You also should not be getting an "install" at all when you insert the game disc because the CDV version of CMBO-SE does not have an auto-installer.

Once the game is installed you have to have the CD in the drive first then click on the desktop icon to start.

Wipe out your CMBO installation and reinstall it with a Complete/Full install (if there are options in how much is copied to the hard drive). If you have the hard drive space you may want to copy the installer to your computer and install from there rather than directly from the CD. I suggest not applying the 1.12 patch. I believe your CD should have the latest version on it already.

Once the game is installed it is only necessary for copy protection check when you launch CM. It shouldn't really affect the game unless you did not perform a complete/full install. In that case the game may pull bitmaps and sounds off of the CD in order to play the game. With a Complete/Full install everything is on the hard drive already. I'm not sure if the CDV version (which is what I assume Amazon is selling for CMB0) offers this option or not.

As for the crashing itself, I'm not sure. Which Windows version, which video card and driver version and what version of DirectX do you have installed ? Do you have anything running in the background that may be interfering with CM ? While it is possible to run other programs while you have CM open, it is also possible that some of these programs may cause CM to crash (usually to the desktop rather than completely locking up the computer). I'd check for any utilities, anti-virus, instant messaging clients, etc. Try to close as many programs as realistically possible.

Hello. Thanks for the tips.

I have just installed and run without crashing the game at a computer at work (Win 2000). So it must be my system that is at fault. I have Windows 98 and DirectX7.

However I noticed when I was doing the installation at work that the installation look longer. I wrote before that for my home system the installation got to about 53% and then the remainging installation went in about 2 seconds. This can't be right, as many wav files were not installed. Could it be possible that the game tries to find this files, can't and so crashes.

I have tried all 3 types of installation. It does not stop the game from crashing. I don't have anything else running in the background and my visus checker only activates once a month, so it can't be that. I really think that it is something to do with the last part of the installation. What information do you need?

Thanks again.

Julian

I guess you allready tried to install directly from the harddisk ( copied the installer file to harddisk ) ?

How large is the "Wav" folder in your CM main folder ???

Mine in CMBO is 224 mb.

I think you can use "winrar" to open the install file (its one big file) and then manually copy the wav files to the Wav folder, this should do the trick.

Check also in the scenario folder if all scenarios are there ( around 50 i think )

But i have no idea WHY the install dont work ok when you install directly from the hd.

Goodluck,

Monty

[ October 20, 2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Monty ]

Still no luck. I copied all the files and folders from the cd, pasted it onto a hard drive and tried set up from there. It still crashed after 2 turns - an almost personal best.

I didn't check the size of the wav files - although they all appeared to be there (after checking on the CD. Same for the scenarios.

I tried installing DirectX 8.1 that came with the CD. As for sound cards etc I am not too sure what I have. I'm not too up on tech stuff, but the sound card is 815 Audio on the motherboard, with WinFast 3D s320 II Display drives + 64MB of RAM.

Also I noticed that there were some zipped files on the CD (cmbo\data1.cab). I tried to unpack them but got the message "signature bytes" are missing. Is this relevant?

Please has anyone got any suggetions because I am close to giving up.

Julian

After copying the files to the hard drive and running the setup from there did it take any longer than your 'truncated' install from the CD ? I can't remember with CMBO, but with CMBB, the last files to copy are the scenarios, so if you have those on your hard drive, then the install may have finished properly.

Attempting to manually extract a .CAB file from a Windows Installer installation will usually result in an error. I'm not sure what extraction program can open that other than ones specifically programmed to ope Windows Installer .CABs. The file will appear as openable from whatever file compression/extraction program you have installed, but a vast majority of the time they will be unable to open these particular archives. So you inability to open the file isn't a specific indication that the file is corrupt.

Your on-board sound is some sort of AC97 Codec. The easiest way to get any driver upgrades would be to go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and hope they've posted some sort of update. You may be able to find the actual codec chip on the motherboard, which is often a very tiny IC (the ADI 18xx series are popular).

Do you know which video driver you have installed (and which version of Windows you're running - 98 or 98 2nd Edition) ? You can download a (possibly) newer driver from NVidia. I recommend the 30.82 driver which is close to the bottom of this listing.

A video driver update may not fix your problem however. I suggest installing the Intel INF Updater (the #2 item in this list). I don't know if will actually help you or not, but I highly suggest installing it.

Does the fan on your video card heatsink spin properly (or is it a 'passive' design with no fan) ?

Schrullnhaft. You are an absolute star! I downloaded both of the suggestions, and the game works perfectly. Well at least it worked well for the 5 turns I had time for last night, but as my personal best before was 2 turns - it very much looks like it is fixed.

A very big thank you to you and everyone else who has tried to help.

Julian