640x480.....

okay....i know my vidcard is really crappy, but i've read previous posts regarding somewhat similar topics, and i can run 16bit color at much higher than 640x480.. i have a 4mb ati rage pro card ( i know, awful :( ) but get only 640x480 modes, i would really think i could run at 800*, even though it'd surely be a bit choppy....

i've tried to delete the preference file and change the desktop res, and i can't seem to get it anything other than the two 640x480 modes.....

any suggestions, advice, knowledge, etc would be greatly appreciated, because it's very painful to play even small maps at this resolution :confused:

Hey Buddy. I'm with ya. I was merrily humming along on my 600x800 res and couldnt wait till I got my new video card to really maximise the performance!

Imagine my surprise (and disappointment) when I got LESS performance.

Hopefully, my situation will be resolved w/ new driver. Have you looked for an updated driver for your card?

At 4Mb you're basically at the lowest level of 3D acceleration that you can get. The VRAM is actually used for more than just a 2D resolution x color depth. It has to store textures and some 3D data too.

Are you running on a Mac or a PC ? What OS and (if a PC) what version of DirectX are you running ? When you select your 640x480 resolution (on the PC) does it say 'software render' or something to that effect ?