Help with Tanks

I have a few HMG's and a few T34 tanks are coming I would like to stop. When I do a LOS on the tanks from the HMG's there is no kill info. Does this mean there is no chance of killing this tank with the HMG's? How do you know if you're wasting your ammo?

In that situation given just HMGs, it would be my guess that your units are going to die and die ugly, horrible deaths.

Barring the intervention of some AT assets or some infantry with close assault weapons, those guys are toast. Hope their insurance is paid up.

:D

BDH

Originally posted by Ingtar17:

I have a few HMG's and a few T34 tanks are coming I would like to stop. When I do a LOS on the tanks from the HMG's there is no kill info. Does this mean there is no chance of killing this tank with the HMG's? How do you know if you're wasting your ammo?

There is never a kill info displayed fro MG's shooting at vehicles. The only vehicles HMG's are able to take out are vehicles with paper thin armor and at relatively close range.

T-34 doesn't belong into this category. Not looking good...

You can shoot at them with the HMG to force them to button up and then use a close assault with infantry which has AT capabilities - from the side or even better from the rear. But remember that they should be very close to the infantry and nothing else is shooting at your infantry.

Good luck.

I'd just like to add that there is a rather measly chance that at close range, the spotter of an unbuttoned tank might fall to your MG fire. This is quite uncommon, and the best use for your MG's against tanks is to provide constant suppression, allowing your infantry to charge the tanks... As already mentioned.

Well, it's not like ALL I have are HMG's. I just thought that they should be able to take one out. I guess not. I also have a few big guns that have already been knocked out, two anti-tank teams and a few mortars. I am having trouble getting the anti-tank teams close without drawing fire and I am trying the HQ sigting for the mortors with no luck. I think I'll have to move the mortars up to see for themselves. Do you think using mortars is a waste to try to take out the tanks or is it a good tactic? They have 5 tanks! I'm in big trouble.

Well, it's not like ALL I have are HMG's. I just thought that they should be able to take one out. I guess not. I also have a few big guns that have already been knocked out, two anti-tank teams and a few mortars. I am having trouble getting the anti-tank teams close without drawing fire and I am trying the HQ sigting for the mortors with no luck. I think I'll have to move the mortars up to see for themselves. Do you think using mortars is a waste to try to take out the tanks or is it a good tactic? They have 5 tanks! I'm in big trouble.

As for the mortars: You have to unhide the HQ's to be able to spot for the mortars and the mortars have to be within command range of the HQ. Giving a very short cover arc command will prevent the HQ shooting at some infantry far away and therefore giving away their position.

But do not expect that the mortars take out the T-34's; best they can do is to force the tank to button up as with the MG's. If the have smoke you could try to put up a smoke screen that your tank hunters can get close enough.

As for the infantry to draw fire and not being able to get close enough to the tanks: Try to seperate enemy infantry by oinning them down with the HMG's. Tanks should be forced to button up same time. If the tanks then continue to advance on their own and get close enough your tank hunter teams or infantry with AT weapons have a chance to take out some tanks. But 5 T-34's? Not looking good...

The mortars are highly unlikely to effect the tanks. There is a small chance of immobilizing, but it's rather small.

My suggestion is to get your guys in cover, hide, and wait for the tanks to come to you. If he does advance his infantry let them get close and them hit the infantry with everything to kill and break them ASAP. You might take some tank fire but then just hide/sneak to avoid it. Also, try to get out of the LOS of the tanks.

good luck!

You'd need some very serious luck to take a T34 with a mortar. They will force them to button up, and a buttoned tank has a 'blind spot'up close. If you can get infantry near enough to a buttoned tank and assualt it you have a fair chance of disabling it at the least. Good luck.

Thanks, but what weapons am I looking for to take out these tanks? It sounds like if HMG's won't do the job then rifles, subMG's and such won't do the job either.

EDIT - I mean what weapons do I need my in-close infantry to have.

[ October 10, 2002, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Ingtar17 ]

Thanks, but what weapons am I looking for to take out these tanks? It sounds like if HMG's won't do the job then rifles, subMG's and such won't do the job either.

Some inf. have things like grenade bundles or moltov cocktails to take out tanks at very close range.

Depending on the year some German inf also have antitank rockets that they can use. The later the year, the longer the range. It starts at 30 meters, ups to 60 then jumps to 100 (is that right guys?).

rv

[ October 10, 2002, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: rvalle ]

I've had sucess with regular infantry with just grenades in some cases. Grenade bundles are better, molotovs work best on open topped (or unbuttoned) units. Try using the advance command and placing it right on the tank. Again, rear attack works best. If the tank has infantry cover your attack will most likely fail, so suppress enemy infantry.

Originally posted by rvalle:

Some inf. have things like grenade bundles or moltov cocktails to take out tanks at very close range.

Depending on the year some German inf also have antitank rockets that they can use. The later the year, the longer the range. It starts at 30 meters, ups to 60 then jumps to 100 (is that right guys?).

rv

Correct on the potential Panzerfaust ranges. Additionally, models 60/100 share a greater payload than Panzerfaust 30. But what has always puzzled me about Panzerfausts that can they be called rockets/RPG's? I've thought that the HC grenade was propelled by a solid charge, like PIAT.