McKinley's Battalion *Spoiler*

Great Operation, Martin! I played through the entire series of fights with awe at the firepower of the US 105mm's and 155mm's. The first fight, at night, was extremely tense. I lost two of my Wolverines to Panthers, but made the Huns pay for each meter of land.

Battles 2 through 5 were ... Amazing. I positioned the US forces farther back, but kept the spotters with excellent LOS for their artillery calls. In these battles, I hid ALL US units and suffered no casaulties as a result. The US Artillery hammered the Huns into oblivion. During the night battle, I had all batteries open fire (wide) at the center of the map. To my utter joy a HUGE section of woods errupted into flames! *Scored a hit in a flamethrower, I think!*

The final battle, number 6, I decided during my setup to launch a counter attack on the Huns. I set up the artillery spotters in good positions and this time NOT hiding my forces from the start. By turn 4 the Huns were fleeing the field. By turn 10 I was 1/2 way back across the map towards positions I had held several battles before. By turn 16, I realized I had simply annihilated the Huns with artillery for the last few battles. They were down to less than 2 platoons of infantry and a handfull of machineguns. I quickly silenced their guns with a broadside of MMG's and .50 cal's.

Just take a gander at the dots in the center of the map. They're all from US shelling. If you look far to the east, you'll see the green bases of my forward Infantry Squads. It was quite the final battle charging across the map smile.gif

Thanks again for a very good operation. It showed me (probably the best representation) of how Allied forces battled their way back across Western Europe.

mckin1.jpg

mckin2.jpg

Apoc, thanks! Glad you liked it! I was pondering for a long time if I should reduce the number of FO's available for the US, but not wanting to touch historical accuracy and after a few tests when playing from the German side, it seemed about right.