Bridge assaults

There are several hundred bridge assaults in WWII. Just like there are many battles other then the Bulge, and Normandy. Allies had to fight their way across bridges to get to Paris, through belgium, Denmark, and Germany... too many to name..

There was a great battle at the bridge in Cologne.

Here is one that took place on March 3rd, 1945. I have wanted to model it in CM, but alas, I can't use German vehicles with US control. Too bad.

I was able to do it with scenarios for the old Panzer Commander and for the Steel Panthers World at War game. Quite unique...

--------------

All along the Allied lines in Western Europe, American soldiers are seeking a quick move across the Rhine River. The almost impossible hope is to capture a bridge spanning the mighty waterway intact.

Units of the US 83rd Division, known as the "Rag Tag Circus," dress in German uniforms and use commandered German and disguised American vehicles to sneak into the town of Oberkassel just before dawn.

A number of the GIs in the 83rd are of German descent and speak the language fluently. Their plan is to sneak into the town and capture the bridge there before the Germans can react.

American armor and infantry hide nearby hide nearby in case they are discovered. If that happens they will rush the town and try to overpower the enemy soldiers before the bridge can be blown.

They almost make it. They successfully pass a couple of guard posts but suddenly a German soldier in the town figures out what is happening and shouts an alarm. "Amis!"

In "hell bent for leather" fashion, the Americans charge for the bridge. It would end up being in vain. Just as the first men of the 83rd reach the edge of the river, the bridge shatters in a violent explosion, crashing into the water below.

It would be another two weeks before the Rhine River would be beaten.

I think my view-point must be coloured by the Italian campaign. In MY reading, bridges are involved in three ways:

1, Intact and undefended

2, Intact and defended

3, Blown

The first situation isn't gaming material.

In 2 above, the result was Allies arrive, bridge is blown, which can't be simulated in CM:BO.

In 3 above the usual method was assault crossing by boat (and later Buffalo) followed by placing an assault bridge (scissors or bailey). The first part of this can be gamed, but not the second.

I can't actually recall reading of an assault crossing of an intact bridge.

So, is this not the case in Europe, and why not? Did the Germans not blow bridges as they retreated?

BTW, thanks for your example Wild Bill. I note that this is in the 'free and easy' period at the end of the war, and this is mirrored in Italy. (Was there a howl about US use of German uniforms after the German use of US uniforms in the Bulge?) I would also guess there would be several small actions during Cobra, so perhaps I could narrow my initial question down to any assault crossings during the more static periods prior to Cobra or after the German line stiffened.

GonzoAttacker, the question probably seemed banal on the surface, but as explained above, in Italy these battles did not SEEM to occur.

[ 05-25-2001: Message edited by: ropey ]