Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Opening Screen Problem

Hi Guys! Having a problem in that if I don't watch the entire begining movie as the game launches, and hit the escape key to skip it, the entire main screen comes on as only black. The words "Main Screen" appear at the bottom, but the dialog boxes are cloaked in black.

Otherwise, game plays beautifully, well, except it also popped off in the middle of taking a pbem turn.

Modwise, I've done many of the CMHQ downloads. I've downloaded skies and stuff from Tom's and Deanco and Der Kessel.

I don't mind watching the opening movie, just wondring if I might have done something or if there is an easy fix.

Thanks well in advance!

Shawn McCaslin

Seamus660@AOL.com

Sarentmajor in Rugged Defense

You may want to tell us what platform (Mac or PC) and what video card you're running, along with what driver version.

Try starting CM with the Shift key depressed. This will disable (semi-permanently) the initial QuickTime movie. I'm not sure what ESC'ing during the QuickTime movie playback will do with some video cards and their drivers. Which version of QuickTime do you have installed ?

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]</p>

Righto. Windows 98. Nvidia GForce 2 MX video card. Athalon 950 PC. Clicked on Properties on Qucik Time and it doesn't give me a version numbr that I can see. It must betheone that came with Windows98. Got plenty of RAM and Gig space as this is a fairly new computer designed just for CM. I have only a few other games and apps on this machine. I have noticed recently, however, that I'm getting more and more error messages that tell me I've performed an illegal operation and the system may close. Or I get the blue screen about control+alt+delete, and doing that gets nowhere, so I cold boot. This may all be traced to something wrong with my computer (which would be very frutrating).

Thanks again,

Kiltie

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Kiltie Lad ]

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Kiltie Lad ]</p>

Do you know if anything is overclocked in your system (like the CPU or video card) ? Do you have an adequate CPU fan for your Athlon ? Do you know what wattage your power supply is (for Athlon's you'll typically want a 300W power supply, but many can run on less wattage) ? One possibility with your problems is that they're hardware related - CPU overheating, not enough power for the video card and/or CPU, etc.

Which version of the NVidia drivers do you have loaded up ? What version of DirectX do you have installed ?

Is there any consistency in the blue-screen errors you get (the same driver/file mentioned each time, etc.) ?

Don't know about wattages, but assume the computer can handle things, as it was built by a gamer who knew I was playing CM. I know there are two fans. I'll have to track the error messages, if the continue. I did as you suggested at the start screen and hit shift and went straight into the game screen. Hopefully that solves that problem. I'll watch for the other problems and, if I may, try to tell you what's happening. Thank you for the free advice. Are you in Rugged Defense? I'm Sarentmajor there and would be happy to take you on if you'd like.

Guest Stuart J. Vincent

I had a similar problem on my PIII with Voodoo 3 3000 AGP.

Just left clicking the mouse ended movie and main menu appeared OK. In the end I did away with the movie holding shift whilst starting the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Silvio Manuel - if you have QuickTime installed on your PC, then CM will go through a short movie (flybys and other scenes from CM) before actually loading up the main menu. If QuickTime isn't installed this movie is automatically skipped. It is also disabled by pressing the Shift key when you launch CM so that you come directly to the main menu rather than play the QT movie.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Silvio Manuel - if you have QuickTime installed on your PC, then CM will go through a short movie (flybys and other scenes from CM) before actually loading up the main menu. If QuickTime isn't installed this movie is automatically skipped. It is also disabled by pressing the Shift key when you launch CM so that you come directly to the main menu rather than play the QT movie.<hr></blockquote>

Thank ya...you the man. Now THAT is a real intro. I luv it closing with a zook taking out a Tiger.