Mapping Mission 1.09 (with CMBO support)

Mapping Mission 1.09 is now available for download at:

http://www.cmmc2.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1350&WHICHPAGE=1

Version 1.09 adds support for Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord, and also modifies the display and exporting of elevation when in "CM level" mode to better emulate the behavior of the CM map editor.

[ July 23, 2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: L.Tankersley ]

I read it, but I still don't get it. Everyone in the thread seem already acquainted with Mapping Mission. What does it do? Export maps out of CM (to..?) or into CM (from..?)? Or does it enable me to export and import maps between different scenarios in CM?

Regards

Dandelion

Mapping Mission is a program that lets you build maps for CM without having to use the clumsy CM map editor interface. It supports things like cut-and-paste, laying down roads by clicking and dragging instead of one tile at a time, and various other features to make the mapmaker's job easier. The maps can then be "exported" to CMBB (or, soon, CMBO) -- you run CM and open the map editor, and select the Export command. Mapping Mission then generates all the key presses and mouse events necessary to build your map in Combat Mission. You just sit back and watch, or go have a drink or something.

Mapping Mission also includes a number of features that are intended mainly for campaigns that use CM as a combat engine, such as CMMC. Mapping Mission maps can be arbitrarily large (100km on a side, say). The user can select any area of the map to export to CM.

Mapping Mission also includes a feature to let you load a bitmap as an "underlay" that will appear in the map window. Terrain tiles are drawn semi-transparent on top of this underlay. If your bitmap is an image of a topographic map, say, this lets you build the CM map on top of the actual map.

If you're still not sure what the program does, download it and give it a spin or read the formal documentation. It's only a couple of hundred kbytes. You won't be able to export to CMBO, but you can play with the map editor and get the general idea.

It wasn't used in CMMC1, but the lack of something like it in CMMC1 led me to build it for use in CMMC2. The entire CMMC2 map (roughly 32x34km) is being represented in Mapping Mission, and as battles are generated the appropriate terrain area will be exported.

I'm not the COCAT guy; that's Pal Woje.