Player purchase semi-historical scenarios

I just finished and uploaded a player purchase semi-historical scenario at the Scenario Depot. Scenario Depot

Here's the description that comes in a separate readme file (since there is no briefing with just a map).

This is an experiment and any comments would be appreciated. As I was developing and testing it became clear that balance is even trickier in a player purchase scenario/map than in a normal scenario.

Readme:

Note: place the .cme file in the "Quick Battle Maps" directory, select load from file on the terrain selection screen of the QB generation. Import troops when asked. Make sure to send this text file (the one you're reading) to your opponent.

Central Region, Axis Probe for QBs.

Recommended Settings for a QB (with these settings the map and setup are reasonably balanced, other settings can cause severe imbalance):

Import Troops

January 42, Central Region

Force mix: infantry only (both sides)

Nationality: German, Soviet

Quality: medium (both)

Purchase Units: Human or Random (human pick is recommended)

Fitness: Fit (both)

Casualties: 20% (both) [the severe winter had attrited both sides]

Ammunition: German (full), Soviet (80%) [Note: The soviets had supply problems]

Type: Axis Attack [Don't change this! The handicap makes this probe strength w/ foxholes]

Force Size: 700 [you can make between 500-1000 and still keep balance]

Handicap: Axis -10%

Variable Rarity

Turns: 20 (variable)

Time: Mid-day

Freezing

Snow

Wind: Strong

The Russian winter offensive shocked the German army. In many places the lines were stretched and the German manpower shortage became a critical issue. Raus, one of the finest German commanders on the Eastern front undertook a "Snail Offensive" with the goal of straightening his front. The strategy was to make very limited attacks with small forces utilizing surprise. Raus had very few troops to spare and could not afford any signficant casualties. Raus only attacked were the Soviets were weak and with very limited objectives, managed to achieve great success. This map depicts one of the many small actions that made up the "Snail Offensive".

The VL flags are placed place in the two small towns. Capturing a village was almost always the objective of the limited Snail offensive. Other terrain that might be captured couldn't be held in the severe Russian winter.

The setup zones are designed for a QB so that each player can do some unusual things with the initial placement of forces. I recommend that neither player look at the their opponents setup zones before they pick their forces (you should definitely look at your own setup zones). It's much more interesting to not know exactly where your opponent might be, at least I think so.

The machine gun bunkers that are already placed on the map for the Soviet player should not be moved (rotating is ok). The Soviets also have wire and mines. The mines and wire that are already placed at marked positions should not be moved. The remaining mines and wire can be placed anywhere. This simulates the knowledge that the Germans were able to acquire about defensive obstacles before they conducted their attacks. Since this Probe is against well known enemy positions, both sides had the time and opportunity to boresight their support weapons. The TRPs increase the accuracy of artillery, guns, and onboard mortars. TRPs also allow onboard mortars to indirect fire. Mortars and guns that have moved CANNOT use the TRPs.

Note: Because this is a QB the friendly map edges are german:west and soviet:east. Your units will prefer to retreat towards the friendly map edge and all artillery patterns will be oriented on the east/west dimension.

Enjoy!

-marc sullivan

The readme file doesn't have windows carriage returns in it, so it's a block of text. My apologies, I made it on a mac. I would change it to windows-friendly formatting but updating isn't enabled right now at the Scenario Depot.

It's sorta wacky against the ai, much better against a person. The AI when defending moves all the fortifications to ridiculous locations. If you're playing with the ai defending you really need to give it a big force bonus. When the AI attacks it makes a really gamey strategic move which surprised the heck out of me. Of course in executing the strategy the AI falls flat.