A Fascinating article....Ost Front.

Originally posted by MasterGoodale:

I wish I had taken the time to interview my gramp before he died. He was a tank commander in Battle of The Bulge. Shipped their after fighting in the pacific for some time. I hate myself for not documenting his experiences.

Don't hate yourself, vets rarely spoke of the war.

In my family, my dad(his brother died in Holland), and 2 uncles fought in WW II. Over the years, even though we spent many weekends together, at the most, and I'm 50, I've heard them talk of it 6-7 times in total. Even if I was asking questions, all I'd get was "not now".....and "now" rarely came!

Your grandpa, had he wanted to share the war with you, would have, they just wouldn't talk about it!......{(shrug) it was their hell, why share it?...I guess}

KC

I've gotta take this one with a grain of salt.

This one individual was very involved in a little too many "rarities" and famous events.

Moscow, Dresden, Anzio, Stalingrad, Fallshermlager (sp?), SS, Secret weapon sighting, the first Sturmpanzers, King Tigers.

Just feels a little too fantastic for me.

I can only repeat what others said before: it doesn't sound like the memories of a 80 year old german vet. *If* the source text was genuine then the translator was a twenty-something american war buff who quite liberally changed the narrative style and the choice of words.

I dunno, everything that happened could be explained. It did appear to ring true to me, with such intricate and strange details. It is not written in stilted English certainly, but then if he spent his life in the US he may be speaking good English by now. A very young writing style, certainly.

Interestingly enough this Joscha fellow appears to be alive and posting, at least this appears to be him here.

Who knows?

Originally posted by Paul Jungnitsch:

I dunno, everything that happened could be explained. It did appear to ring true to me, with such intricate and strange details. It is not written in stilted English certainly, but then if he spent his life in the US he may be speaking good English by now. A very young writing style, certainly.

Interestingly enough this Joscha fellow appears to be alive and posting, at least this appears to be him here.

Who knows?

Someone with that handle also posts at feldgrau.net