Strange LAN problem

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Let me see if i can explain this properly.

When i first set up my network some time ago i managed to get CM running ok on the LAN between both computers in windows ME.

Because i have no wargaming buddies here in Shanghai i never really used the LAN for CM.

I tried it just the other day for fun and it won't work...the screen comes up saying "Waiting for opponent to connect" whilst the other one says "Downloading Scenario Data" or something like that, but it times out everytime.

I have to Cntrl Alt Del to get back out and on my main computer i see my dial up connection ready to connect to the internet in the background...not sure why.

So i start CM in muliplayer again on my main computer and when i reach the screen that says waiting for opponent to connect (Before i start CM on the other computer) and i hit Escape to minimise CM...i see that the dial up screen is not there. When i try to join using the second computer the dial up screen activates. I don't know what is causing it.

Anyway CM times out or freezes so i cannot play over the LAN. So i tried to minimise the screen using "escape" before it times out to see if the dial up screen is in the background and then it works!! - it goes into the game...but only when i hit escape on the main computer. It seems like a trigger.

To summarise, the LAN game will time out unless i hit escape which seems to activate the game and it works fine from then onwards...all other multiplayer games work fine from then onwards providing i do not quit completely from CM. If i quit completely and restart CM i must go through the same procedure to get it to work.

Is there a likely cause for this? I did a search and another guy had the same problem (With the dial up activating in the background) I e-mailed him and he said he did not get it worked out despite trying many things.

Sorry for the log post, i hope i described the problem ok for you to understand.

My LAN is working fine on normal network stuff and i can ping my other computer no problem...seems to be a CM problem?

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

For whatever it's worth, it would seem I'm not the only person to experience this inability to connect over a LAN. I had several posts regarding this same problem a few months ago. I reached a point where I did not have my dial-up appear (not sure how I got rid of that) but despite several posts and suggestions here, a phone call to Microsoft to verify my network settings, and God only knows how many hours of hair pulling I still can't play this gem H2H. I get the same errors and screens the Capitalist Dog experiences, but at least he can get a connection after an esc. key, I can't even get that, my second computer just sits taunting me with the waiting to download screen. Likewise my LAN works for other games, I play Starfleet Command via TCP/IP without a problem. Please can't we have an IPX option on the next patch??

• 2 weeks later...