Tactical tips help with CM

O.K. here I go. Got the game now, I need help with tactical suggestions with CM.

I am very familiar with WWII combined arms

but, all games have their little subtle

ways. I have played and read the tutorial on page 135. All suggestions on how to play this puppy better are welcome.

This game is a 12 on a scale of 10. WOW!

Thanks to one and all who worked on CM.

Ole Treadhead

I have only had the final version for about 20 hours now, but I did manage to play that wonderful toutorial because it has such interesting possilities with regard to the terrain. I also played about six different

quickies. Here are a few things I learned the hard way:

1. Mech Infantry will get chewed up by the German quad 20mm AA gun. The scenario I set up was a reinforced Mech Infantry coimpany with 105mm/81mm in support as well as organic 60mm. There were several half tracks and three M-8's, and two gun jeeps. THe objetive was a village. There was a large objective flag in the center of the village and there were four smaller ones on the outside, behind the village in various treed areas. I was conducting a double envelopment with a lot of pressure up the middle too.

The center and right side attacks went along without a hitch. The left side, which had the same force size that the right side had ( one mounted rifle platoon, one gun jeep and one M8), ran in to trouble right away.

(I had made this a 20 turn scenario) By turn six or seven I had lost five half tracks, one M8, and was making a ground assault on the left side.

I KNEW there were "guns" facing me there, but I didn't know one was a rapid fire AA gun. My 60mm had taken out a 75mm gun, but EVERYTHING that went after the other "gun" got creamed. The visual was just like the other gun...a little grey gun with a soldier behind it and "gun??" above it.

By now my right and center forces had been fully sucessful, so I was attacking this "gun" from three directions..He got ANOTHER M-8 and some more infantry. Finally, the 105mm was able to get a good LOS and smoked him. He had killed five tracks, two M8's, two jeeps and NINETEEN infantrymen.

BEWARE of this "gun"...I guess if you can't "see" it, your only tip off will be too many dead guys piling up in one place.

<sigh> eek.gifmad.gif

2. GERMAN HALFTRACKS...

Don't always assume that they are plain old every day tracks with a squad of PzGrens and an MG...they also could be a track mounted AT gun...I lost a Sherman M5 to one of these guys...again, the ID was hard confused.gif to make..(just like in a real firefight)

3. GOOD STUFF...I set up a nice big fight between the British (I like to think it was actually the Irish Guards) and the German armor. It was in Sept, 44 and on nice flat, nearly treeless terrain. I had M5's, Crocs and Croms...The Croc and the Croms can take serious punishment...one was hit nine times on his frontal armor without ill effect. Another was hit seven in the same manner. The shooter(s) were Hetzers and a 75mm track (discussed above).

One of the Croc's was closing on a "rough" area when a (previously unseen) German AT gunner popped up...on its own the Croc let loose with the flame thrower and lit that shreck team up cool.gif...(and the surrounding "rough" area with it.) It was a thing of beauty to behold. <efg> biggrin.gif