VoT Spoiler--Deadeye Shermans?!

I was a bit surprised by how easily my Shermans annihilated the Panther. I had one 75 go around the right of the big hill behind which the Panther was lurking, the 76 go around the left base of the hill, and another 75 running amok through the German infantry in the center of the map (far left of the hill) like Oddball's Shermans at the railyard in Kelly's Heroes. The 75 on the right drove around the hill, immediately took MG fire from the Panther, buttoned up, reversed at high speed and squeezed off a shot that immobilized the Panther! Then the 75 remained hidden behind the hill, doubtless changing their underwear. Meanwhile, the 76 worked its way around the left base of the hill, but immediately backed up the instant it saw the Panther! I redirected it to go forward again in the next turn, and watched it go. Suddenly, the Panther was blown to bits. I couldn't figure out who did it until I watched Oddball's 75 driving around the far left, machine-gunning hapless Wehrmacht ground-pounders. It fired two shots at the Panther while driving full-speed (and perpendicularly to the Panther), and the second shot penetrated the upper hull, destroying the Panther.

I was amazed to see 2/3 of my Sherman 75 shots damage then kill the Panther, with the killing shot coming from at least 3-400 meters while at "full trot". I don't know, does this seem kind of unrealistic to anyone else, or have I been too brainwashed to think of the 75 Shermans as "Ronsons", good only for slicing through infantry and providing German tanks with target practice?

Comments please.

der Bob

------------------

"We ain't got no booze"

You probably get a side shot and the Panther is very vulnerable there ( 45mm side turret and between 40 or 50mm side hull armour).

Attacking a Panther frontally with your pesky Shermans with the short barrelled 75mm guns is quite another matter: even at very short range you have to hit a weak spot for a penetration hit.

That you hit the Panther with your Sherman at full speed was due to extreme luck or devine intervention.

Guest Big Time Software

der Bob - you handled your Shermans well and also were blessed with good luck in that one. It usually doesn't work out so well for the Shermans. But chance plays a big factor, as it can take as little as one shell to kill a tank, even the biggest ones.

Shermans do have some ability to fire on the move due to their gyrostabilizers, though you were still lucky to hit the Panther so quickly while moving. smile.gif

Charles

Schugger(baby) and Charles:

Thanks for your quick replies. I'll assume I was awfully lucky in this one. Honestly, since this is the most I've been able to play this remarkable game (being father of 3, maintaining a household and yard, full-time job, starting new business, etc. take their toll), I shouldn't jump to any conclusions or consider myself the Audie Murphy of armored warfare. I did brag to my son (14) of how my Shermans mangled the Panther, though, and he was impressed (which is rare). It was also sort of "cute" how my 76 slammed itself into reverse the moment it set eyes on the Panther. With any luck, the "real deal" game will be sitting by my front door when I get home tonight.

Thanks again, gentlemen.

der Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by der Bob:

Schugger(baby) and Charles:

Thanks for your quick replies. I'll assume I was awfully lucky in this one. Honestly, since this is the most I've been able to play this remarkable game (being father of 3, maintaining a household and yard, full-time job, starting new business, etc. take their toll), I shouldn't jump to any conclusions or consider myself the Audie Murphy of armored warfare. I did brag to my son (14) of how my Shermans mangled the Panther, though, and he was impressed (which is rare). It was also sort of "cute" how my 76 slammed itself into reverse the moment it set eyes on the Panther. With any luck, the "real deal" game will be sitting by my front door when I get home tonight.

Thanks again, gentlemen.

der Bob<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem, glad to help you. Do you know how lucky you and the guys in USA in gerneral are? You do not have to count the days but the hours until you'll find the sweet package on your doorstep.

I hope you'll enjoy it and keep us "Old Worlders" informed.

Schugger

In regards to Gyrostabilizers, do ALL Shermans in CM have them? Certianly not all Shermans (of any type) had them in the war.

Similarly, do all German MkIVH tanks have Schwerzen?

However, as has been said before, the idea of a 75 penetrating the side armor of a Panther is not that unlikely. The Panther had pretty weak side armor. Give me a Tiger any day!

Jeff