Scenario Depot Issues

Gang,

My ISP managed to have a loverly server crash on Tuesday afternoon. Many aspects of The Scenario Depot are acting a little erratic, and will continue to do so. Features which are broken are...

The Lists

Scenario of the Month

News

For the moment, I request that no reviews get posted, as my ISP may be restoring the database, thus that information would get overwritten.

I'm working with my ISP to have them restore the database to something a little more recent than 2 weeks ago. It doesn't take an abacus to do this, so I'm wondering what their problem is. I've got all of the table structures...it's the data that I'm most concerned about. We'll see.

I'm also looking into alternative servers, such as hosting everything myself on my own PIII-800 Linux/Apache server. That way I'm in complete control instead of relying upon someone else.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Email me if you have any suggestions/ideas that may help.

Prosit!

Gang,

UPDATE...

Based on revcent emails from my NEW ISP, it looks like my former ISP got gobbled up by someone w/ more money. They claim to have moved about 10,000 domains (including mine) and as expected, everything was not smooth. In their infinite wisdom, they claim that they started this procedure last week, thus used a backup from that time to create the new folder structure on 'new servers with more horsepower'.

The saga continues...

Gang,

Here's a little update from my ISP:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Keith the mySQL issue is a HUGE one. Almost all our sites use mySQL so databases I would like to see restored as well. You can rest assured its on the burner bigtime.<hr></blockquote>

Soooo...I guess we will see what happens next.

I appreciate everyone's patience in this agonizing time.

Prosit!

How confident if your new provider that you'll be able to reclaim the material lost in the crossover?

It seems upwards around 30 or 40 scenarios and a whole gob of reviews were dumped. I know I sat one evening and submitted about 15 battles and it would be woeful indeed to have to do it again (not to mention losing some sweet reviews on some of my scenarios :( ).

Clubfoot,

I'm doing my best (imploring, cajoling, begging, and bribing) my web host to either restore the files from Tuesday morning. Short of that, I've asked them to send me the original files and I'll manually export them and re-input the information myself. They state...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Keith the mySQL issue is a HUGE one. Almost all our sites use mySQL so databases I would like to see restored as well. You can rest assured its on the burner bigtime.<hr></blockquote>

Soooo...I'm continuing to work on the issue with them.

Fortunately, this has impelled me to create some data backup routines that will prevent this sort of nonsense in the future. Day late and a dollar short, but wiser for the experience I suppose. That's what I get for trusting that my web host was working in my best interest.

Hang in there guys, I'll get it worked out.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Prosit!

Admiral,

How are you exactly going to backup the files on THEIR server? Anyway, its a good idea, a very good one (speaks a former IT-responsible in a medium size company). Can you keep it at your home HD?

Anyway, I hope the scenario depot will be back on its feet soon. Itching to review a few.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ligur:

Admiral,

How are you exactly going to backup the files on THEIR server? Anyway, its a good idea, a very good one (speaks a former IT-responsible in a medium size company). Can you keep it at your home HD?

Anyway, I hope the scenario depot will be back on its feet soon. Itching to review a few.<hr></blockquote>

Ligur,

Actually, once you have the correct mySQL code, it's quite easy. I should have researched this feature much earlier, but again, was trusting my web host to be a little more responsive. Backups literally take less than a minute for all of the tables, so for me to do it nightly is really trivial now.

Every day I ping the web host database dudes to see where they are at with database restorations (mine apparently isn't the only one they need to do). Attempting to use the 'squeeky wheel' philosophy.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's patience.