Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Question about Tigers

Hello guys...

I was watching Heavy Metal on the History channel and there was a Brit Tank Commander describing how effortless was to engage a Tiger, and how bullets bounced from the 2 shoots he made at it.

Then he explained how the Tiger got him and 3 crews got killed and he was almost blinded...I just cant convince myself that the remarks he made of how soldiers fleed battle at the sight of a Tiger and how unnacurate Allied tanks were...he even said that he couldnt even make a Tiger kill at 200 meters!!???

Do any of you have any sources on video depicting a Tiger kill? :mad:

Well, you have to consider that much of the Tiger's fame (in the eyes of the western allies) came from the north african battles of 42/43. At this time it was really kind of an invulnerable monster. Heavily armoured, with a powerful gun and experienced crews.

The appearance of Tigers at that time really could inspire fear in allied troops.

By 1944 this had already changed.

The introduction of the 76mm and 17 pounder guns in allied tanks changed the situation. Since the Tiger's armour wasn't angled it became more and more vulnerable, especially to tungsten rounds.

But a 75mm armed Sherman still would rather run away than fight a Tiger head-on.

And you have to take into account that the average experience of allied tank crews were quite low in 1944 due to heavy losses in the african/italian campaign and (even more important) the need to train so many new crews for the enlargement of the army.

[ July 15, 2002, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

...and the fact that, they didn't have CM. :D

Lol! :D

"Look, Sergeant, I know there's a Tiger on that hill. That's why I called you.

So now you and Chuck take your Greyhounds, go full speed and flank that Tiger.

Then you'll get him with a flank shot.

At least one of you will survive.

Any questions?"

[ July 15, 2002, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]