The Newbie Tournaments IV

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was waiting for ST to post the official result, but he seems to be busy (sent him files yesterday evening), so since everyone else is posting progress reports:

Witko and I are done with Breaking Through. I don't remember the exact score, but I (Allies) achieved a minor victory - Something like a 20 point advantage.

AAR will follow next week after everyone's done with this one.

Great scenario. We had a lot of fun and I think I can speak for both of us in saying that we are looking forward to the next scenario.

I look forward to hearing results from the rest of you and also AARs from the other matchups.

Cheers,

YD

Voidhawk and I are on turn 28/30. The next movie will feature "L'Grande Duelle" which will surely decide who takes a lead into the Reject bracket Champeenship match.

I am kicking myself for losing two of my American X's, foolishly placing them in the line of fire of voidhawk's Y.

Voidhawk is (surely) kicking himself for firing several precious arty rounds on open ground a few hundred meters from the nearest American in the early turns- not un-targeting the FO's mission.

Well, we've both done foolish ****e, and its now a real white-knuckler going into the last 3 turns.

[ June 27, 2002, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

I am kicking myself for losing two of my American X's, foolishly placing them in the line of fire of voidhawk's Y.

Yes, indeed. I credit my entire victory to being very careful with how I used my X's. The result was that Witko didn't have any Y's left by the end of the match. Actually, he didn't have any V's or W's left, either. :D

On the other hand, I was not so careful with my Z's and lost all of them for relatively little gain. Otherwise, I could have really done some damage. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

YD

[ June 27, 2002, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: YankeeDog ]

"Really done some damage?" You must mean the sheer joy of tanks shelling exposed/unsupported infantry...ah, the "crunch" of it, and the flow of the red-red-kruvy.

I think I wasn't careful w/ those Tin Cans b/c I wasn't seeing things from the crew's perspective- that they may NOT want to go head-to-head vs. too-thick-plates and nasty KwK's.

Voidhawk is (surely) kicking himself for firing several precious arty rounds on open ground a few hundred meters from the nearest American in the early turns- not un-targeting the FO's mission.
My shins are still sore. And Silvio won that duel he mentioned; now my forehead hurts too smile.gif

Onto turns 29 and 30!

More results from the Alterna Brawl:

Dinga (51, British) and Andrewguy (49, German) played to a draw in X Marks the Spot.

Since the score is too close to call, they will be playing a second scenario, Mighty Mouse, to determine the winner.

Originally posted by voidhawk:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Voidhawk is (surely) kicking himself for firing several precious arty rounds on open ground a few hundred meters from the nearest American in the early turns- not un-targeting the FO's mission.

My shins are still sore. And Silvio won that duel he mentioned; now my forehead hurts too smile.gif

Onto turns 29 and 30!</font>

More results from the AlternaBrawl:

Dinga (German) defeated Andrewguy (French) by a score of 55-45 in Mighty Mouse.

So, Dinga wins the Semi-Final Round with an overall score of 106-94 and advances to the AlternaFinal.

Congratulations to Dinga!

"Really done some damage?" You must mean the sheer joy of tanks shelling exposed/unsupported infantry...ah, the "crunch" of it, and the flow of the red-red-kruvy.

Actually, the secret to my success was partially tempting my opponent to shell my "unsupported" infantry with his tanks so I could get the jump on him with my tanks.

My grunts (what's left of them!) probably don't like me very much. My tankers probably have a better opinion of their commander, tho. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by White4:

when will we see some during battle comments from walker and jim liang?

As soon as the battle actually gets under way. Eighteen minutes into the game and, apart from a few rounds of heavy artillery from Jim L. and a few retaliatory shells from the US FO, and not very many sightings of enemy units, all remains strangely quiet, peaceful even...

I securely have my two rear flags, and "his" two flags are hotly contested.

Turned out one of those rear flags was not so secure after all smile.gif In the end Silvio owned one VL; all the others remained contested. It was a real cliff-hanger and a suitable finale to a very exciting game. I'm sure our next game will be just as much fun!

Originally posted by Walker:

As soon as the battle actually gets under way. Eighteen minutes into the game and, apart from a few rounds of heavy artillery from Jim L. and a few retaliatory shells from the US FO, and not very many sightings of enemy units, all remains strangely quiet, peaceful even...

Amazing! In our game, after just 16 minutes there had already been so much action that I had almost run out of tanks, and both sides had suffered major infantry casualties. I was actually wondering at that point if I had enough left to even make it to 30 turns.

Not that losing most of my tanks was a good thing, mind you. I am over it now, really, I am. Well, almost. They were in ambush postions too. Did I mention I was over it already?

I reckon the final minutes will make up for any lack of excitement in the first 20 rounds. And Voidhawk, I'm happy you're over it. Sometimes it can take quite a while, but I'm glad to see you're one of those happy chappies who bounce back within days from the brink of despair ... smile.gif

Originally posted by Walker:

Jim L. & I are doing our best to make up for (my) lost time. Turn 22 and rolling. Keeping fingers crossed, but if there is an overrun it won't be more than three days.

Excellent. I hope the medical problems weren't too serious. Don't feel like you have to rush and spend your whole 4th of July weekend indoors playing CM just to make the deadline or anything -a few extra days isn't going to kill me. Of course if you WANT to be a CM troll for the 4th, don't let me stop you. Far be it for me to tell you how to enjoy your holidays. :D

Cheers,

YD

The deadline for the first leg of the Group Finals is being extended to July 12. One of the players had a medical issue that forced him to fall behind. The extra week should allow everybody plenty of time to complete the scenarios.

More results from the Alterna Brawl:

Darknight_Canuck (German) defeated R.C. (British) in X Marks the Spot, 68-32, and advances to the AlternaFinal.

Congratulations to Darknight_Canuck!

[ July 05, 2002, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: SuperTed ]

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

Excellent. I hope the medical problems weren't too serious. Don't feel like you have to rush and spend your whole 4th of July weekend indoors playing CM just to make the deadline or anything -a few extra days isn't going to kill me. Of course if you WANT to be a CM troll for the 4th, don't let me stop you. Far be it for me to tell you how to enjoy your holidays. :D

Cheers,

YD

YD, thanks for the concern. Had to spend 10 days in a dark room due to an eye infection. Moral of story: never ignore an eye problem...imagine being banned from reading, TV, computer games! I did manage to escape occasionally though smile.gif .

Jim L. and I are now on turn 25 and it has become a nerve-racking, nail-biting succession of ups and downs, extremely complex due to nightmarish LOS issues. I'm sure you know what I mean smile.gif !

As for your 4th July holiday, I celebrated it by foolishly moving a Sherman 5 metres too far forward... :rolleyes:

My sincere apologies for holding things up.

Chris Walker