What happened?

Please point me to the thread if this has been discussed before. Sorry ahead of time if that's the case.

I was playing the second default operation in CM (I'm at work and I forgot the name of it). It's US Army defending against germans. It's in the ardennes I think. Anyway, in the first battle of the operation I didn't let up any ground (nor did I gain any-but I wasn't trying to). I didn't lose too much armor or infantry: basically I thought I did a good job. Then, at the end of the battle, it said the whole operation was over and that there was an axis total victory. What happened?

How did the computer decide I lost when I didn't lose ground or a whole lot of personnel/armor.

The scenario you are talking about is "Team Desorby" and yes, people (myself included)have experienced that same result.

I think (not sure) once the Germans have flanked the town they have achieved their objective, so the game ends there.

I got as far as the second game of that Op. In the first my opponent stopped me cold, but in the second I avoided the town entirely and went for the map edge. The computer ended the Op after that, giving me the win.

Did you get to see the map at the end of game 1? If so, where were the German units? Were their any units flanking the town?

------------------

Charlie don't surf!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingfish:

Did you get to see the map at the end of game 1? If so, where were the German units? Were their any units flanking the town?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the response.

There were units flanking the town, but I don't think they completely flanked it. I wish there were flags for this op. Is this considered a bug?

It seems kindof' wierd that flanking the town would equal total victory.

There still seems to be some problems with "advance" Ops, whether they are being worked on I don't know.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It seems kindof' wierd that flanking the town would equal total victory<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way I understand it, the amis are supposed to defend the town and lines of communications leading to their map edge. In my game as the Germans I had made it all the way to the map edge, so there is no question that I had severed the LOC, therby achieving the objective. I'm not sure how far a German unit has to be to be considered flanking the town.

I do remember a couple of threads on this one, so a search might answer those questions you have. IIRC, Wild Bill did answer one of the threads, if anyone should know about the victory conditions, It is he.

Good luck

------------------

Charlie don't surf!

I recently posted something on this.

I cannot believe it is down to flanking. when i finised the scenario the germans vehicles were burning wrecks...most of the german infantry were to the north and could not be considered to have outflanked me.

Unless the routed crews of three very dead stugs that came round to extreme flank of the town, enabled the AI to claim victory...which seems a little silly to me.

I have replayed it a few times...and I am clueless as to how to win except by fluke

I searched on 'operation' and got a bunch of hits. I'm still having mixed results with ops, sometimes finding myself pushed waaay back when defending...with FOW I can't always tell if it's justified. When they work right, though, the ops are very cool...

Here's a couple:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum6/HTML/000095.html http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum6/HTML/000044.html

These have Desobry spoilers:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum6/HTML/000097.html http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum6/HTML/000204.html

General operation discussion:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum6/HTML/000245.html

Thanks for the links.

It seems like a fair amount of people think there is something wrong with the operation. I agree with them. It should be clear when you've been defeated or not (at least as clear as it is in scenarios, which is plenty clear). Some seemed to be waiting for another version, but 1.05 obviously didn't settle this matter.

Even if Wild Bill says it's not broken, it's not very playable- unlike his others, which are great.

When playtesting this operation (I spent a LOT of time on it, believe me)I discovered in the very first battle that German infantry was flanking me on my (US) right.

I had accidentally forgotten to move a platoon of tanks (with infantry aboard)into the city. I sent them straight up the hill on the right and stopped them, even pushed them back.

This was enough to keep the operation alive for all the battles.

So I left it as it was with some other modifications.

Now one alternative might be to open the operation in the editor and change the operation from Attack or Advance to Destroy. This would put a different goal in front of the Germans and might avoid this sudden ending from taking place.

In other words, the German purpose is now not to sneak around the Americans but annihilate them. This might be the key to making it playable all the way through.

But in my own personal experience, by guarding the flanks and stopping the German advance, I was able to play through the operation all the way. I do recommend this strategy to all of you.

Or change the setting. I enjoyed the battle myself immensely. I'm really sorry it has left a bad taste with some of you....WB

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com