Instal Video Issue ...maybe...now what?

Edi

I run CM with no problems...

I just received CMBB

I have a PC with ME

I have a Pentium 3

I have direct X

When I go through installion it clears through but does not set up an

icon on the desk top (maybe it should not)

When I got to the Exe to start the game the only screen I get asks if I

accept a resolution of 640x480 which I would

rather not but does not matter if I hit accept it closes down and throws

me out if I say skip it says

cannot initialize 3d graphics

and throws me out

Same thing happens with or without Norton on.

so do I have a defective disk with faulty installation (please send a new

one) or is there something else here.

I do run CM on the same machine and ran the demo with no problems,

So what gives here.

If it some weird video thingee so where do I go to get another version of Direct X or whatever is the video driver that is used here...and why does CM then work but not this>? :mad:

With the game only offering 640x480 it seems as if CM isn't detecting your video card's DirectX hardware acceleration.

WinME comes with DirectX 7.1. However newer video drivers may require DirectX 8.1 (this is true of the latest ATI and NVidia drivers). Assuming that this is what you already have you may want to run the DirectX Diagnostic (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DXDIAG). Check to make sure that it doesn't see any problems with your DirectX installation (however accurate it may be at diagnosing its own problems) and then check the settings in the Display tab. For most video cards all three settings should be enabled. Test the Direct3D and see if it passes.

Since you say that CMB0 is working fine on your system I assume that your DirectX and video drivers are in order. The next question is what resolution do your run CMBO at ? If it is only 640x480, then there may be a problem with CMBB since it only runs at 800x600 or higher (despite offereing 640x480 as a resolution selection).

If your video card past the Direct3D test then make sure that your desktop is 800x600 or higher in resolution, delete the Prefs file for CMBB and then attempt to reselect your resolution. If only 640x480 is offered again it may say 'Software Mode' in the resolution selection box, which is an indicator that CMBB isn't recognizing your card's DirectX 3D hardware capabilities.

AT this point we need to know which video card and what drivers you have installed. The errors that you got are normal once you've cycled through all the possible resolutions. CM doesn't start at the highest resolution again, but instead gives a DirectX error.

There are some problem CDs out there, but people usually end up being unable to install all of the files and get an error during extraction. If you haven't seen this particular error then you may be fine for now.

OK the running of the DXDIAG seemed to do the trick.

HOWEVER, a small panic at first came to the fore when going to address you indicated revealed no such file as DXDIAG. For those like me who have no clue as to this sort of stuff the key is to tell people to go to the Run and then just enter DXDIAG and go through the tests.

For the record I have Radeon7000 RadeaonVE as my video driver.

I did go back to the old CMBO and then it allowed me to go to 1024x728 or whatever.

So mission accomplished thank you. :D