CMMOS Conversion Step-by-Step: Part 1, renaming the BMPs

Even if you're not a modder, you can convert a mod for CMMOS!

I've gotten Panzermartin's kind permission to convert his lovely T-34/76 Model 1943(late) hasty whitewash mod, and I'll be doing the conversion here on the forum for the next week or so step-by-step. Follow along if you have the mod and you'll end up with a converted mod you won't even need to download. smile.gif Modders, you're encouraged to follow along with your mods as well. I'll take questions as we go.

So, let's get started!

First thing we'll need is the mod. I got my copy from ColumbusOHgamer's great CM Mod Database. Once you have the mod on your hard drive, you'll need to set up a place to work, so use Windows Explorer and create a new folder. We'll name the folder "Workspace".

Next, unzip the mod into your new folder. OK, got it unzipped? You should have a folder with (13) BMP files numbered 58920 to 58933 plus a (very! smile.gif ) brief instructional readme from Panzermartin. Since the readme instructions won't apply once we have converted the mod, we'll delete the readme file, leaving just the (13) BMPs.

Now we need to add a suffix to the the BMP files. According to the CMMOS manual, these can be about anything we want, but we want to make them somewhat descriptive of the mod. We'll use _rww for "rusty whitewash". We'll use the RENAME command in Windows Explorer to insert the suffix. Just right click on each of the BMP files, select "rename" and stick the suffix in after the BMP number but before the file extension like this:

58920_rww.bmp

58921_rww.bmp

58922_rww.bmp

58923_rww.bmp

58924_rww.bmp

...and so forth for all (13) BMP files.

Notice that the inserted suffix doesn't have any spaces, we used the underline ( _ ) character to replace them. This is in accordance with CMMOS convention.

Once we have the files renamed, we're ready to create our Info.txt file. We'll do that in Part 2.

- Old Dog

Edited to change the suffix we'll use for this conversion. Reason is that I've heard from Gordon that Panzermartin and The Big Cheese are working together on a series of CMMOS versions of their hasty/rusty whitewash tanks, and I want to keep our version compatible with them. Sorry for the extra trouble if you need to re-name your renamed files again :D

[ November 30, 2002, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]

A help to speed things up tip:

1) Go to the command prompt (start->run and type "command" for Win95, 98 or ME, "cmd" for 2000 or XP)

2) Drill down to the workspace folder.

3) Type "ren ?????.bmp ?????_PzM_WW.bmp"

4) Hit return.

5) Presto, instant copies of bmps with proper naming.

NB: things to type should be entered without the quotes.

WWB