Rifle Squad Tactics

Hello and good day to you all. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the full version of CM, should be here any day now! The demo I have downloaded is AMAZING! I'm a true WWII buff, and this game accurately depicts so many things...I'm sure I'm not the first to praise it..anyway, on to my question! It seems to me that my infantry, rifle squads and bazooka/panzerschrek teams, become shaken/panicked/routed very easily! I'm aware of the varying levels of training (i.e. regular, veteran, etc), but all of them seem to run away from combat. Is there some way to keep them in the fight? Also, I've had real problems using my rifle squads to knock out enemy vehicles~tanks, mortar teams and so on. Finally, what is the best way to use artillery? I've based my spotters on hills, in buildings, everywhere they can get a clear LOS to the enemy, and my artillery has yet to knock out an enemy tank, it only seems to suppress their infantry squads! Thanks in advance .. and to the developers, a big thumbs up!

Yes, it's quite simple really.

You need to command them well ( and no, I'm not being flippant or sarcastic.)

Green troops in the hand of an excellent commander are worth more than Elite troops under the command of a complete newbie.

Basic rules... Place your men so they can concentrate their fire on a small number of enemy troops whilst being out of LOS of the main enemy body.

In a recent game which I;'ll be posting an AAR of a German REGULAR platoon broke the back of an assaulting American VETERAN company. The platoon didn't suffer a single casualty but took out close to 100 American troops.

It's ALL in the placement.

As for vehicles. It SHOULD be difficult to kill them. Tanks are tough SOBs and you really need either another tank, a friendly AT gun or a bazooka team to take them out. IF you are trying to take one out with infantry and aren't having much success I'd point you to http://combathq.thegamers.net . Go read the Sunken Lane AAR there.. I took out about 3 enemy tanks with infantry close assaults during teh course of that PBEM and explain how to do it there.

Read the AARs on CMHQ and other sites and get a sense of what works and what doesn't.

Artillery:

DON'T WASTE ARTY VS ENEMY TANKS !!!

Don't do it. if enemy tanks are co-located with infantry then fire arty by all means but firing arty at tanks in the hope of a kill is just a waste.

Guest Germanboy

Also, have a look at Moon's site www.gamesofwar.de , he explains some basic infantry platoon tactics in the tactics section. Apart from that Fionn is right. And always take care that your men are connected to their HQ by a maroon line. If the line is black, they are out of C&C and freak much easier.

------------------

Andreas

I think it depends on how close the units are to the HQ.

I noticed sometimes though that one HQ will stop commanding a squad, while another HQ will take control of it.

I don't think you can control that, it depends on HQ placement vs. squads.

Sometimes too you can place a platoon HQ next to a squad that it out of command of its original HQ, or that lost its HQ, and nothing happens. Usually when that happens I give up and send the HQ elsewhere, where it can prove useful.

If a squad doesn't want to listen to commands then they are on their own for morale, I treat them as independent units then.

smile.gif

Once you receive the game in the mail, check out the 3rd party mod that changes the little icon that shows you if a unit is in command or not. I use that mod, it makes it much easier to notice when a unit falls out of command range.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vanilla Thunder:

It seems like the Com lines to/from the individual unit's HQ squads change at random. Is there any way to keep them all in operation, or are they going to be black sometimes??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I can't absolutely swear that there is no random element involved in the program, I think that is not your problem.

The command radius depends on three things.

(1) The command rating of the HQ. This can be basic, +1, or +2.

(2) The distance separating the unit from the HQ.

(3) Possibly (I don't think it's been officially stated; I'm basing this on personal observation), whether or not there is a good LOS between the unit and the HQ. It seems that blocking terrain (such as dense foliage) can shorten the command radius, though I haven't tested this rigorously.

The way to keep your units in CC is to keep the HQs close to them.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patboivin:

Sometimes too you can place a platoon HQ next to a squad that it out of command of its original HQ, or that lost its HQ, and nothing happens.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A platoon HQ can only command squads of its own platoon. It can command any number of teams, however.

In order to place a squad that has lost its HQ or is beyond its command range in CC, you would have to use a company or battalion HQ.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 08-19-2000).]