Lieutenant! I am relieving you of your command!

I am tired of panic mongers leading my platoons, since usually their troops never make it across open ground even when ordered to human wave. And they never rally their men fast enough to be effective again. I am of course referring to the no morale bonus toon leaders.

Is there any way of temporarily transferring the command of a toon to a higher level HQ that has a morale bonus? Because usually both the leader and his platoon will crawl back for cover, where they proceed to freak for the rest of the game, making it very difficult to separate the men from the panic monger. When things aren't too bad, the toon leader can be ordered to screw off somewhere out of comrange. But effective leadership is most needed under fire. And removing HQs can be very difficult when they are constantly hitting the dirt (especially when they have the command bonus). So is there any way of temporarily transferring command, to someone more competent short of area fire execution?

Use a company HQ, move the platoon HQ far away from his squads. You'll see the red command line from the Company HQ to your squads and you're good to go.

(You don't actually reassign them, command naturally goes to the nearest HQ who can command a squad)

Well this is very difficult to do under fire most miniscule, when the HQ constantly gets pinned, and doesn't want to move. It is especially hard when said HQ has any command bonuses since he manages to spread panic from quite a way off.

Perhaps in the engine rewrite there will be a more percise way of doing this.

I can't imagine a precise way of doing this while pinned down by fire in reality, so I doubt the new engine will give us any such capability.

Leader units can't 'spread panic' as far as I know. They are just differently rated for the ability to stop panic before it happens, or rally troops already panicked.

I often take squads away from so-so PLT-hq's and put them under a good Company CO. Makes a nice reserve force because you can mix-and-match units, creating a kind of super-platoon.

ren

Well, if the higher HQ isn't pinned, and theoretically has command over the troops, then I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be allowed to take over. The problem is that you have to move the platoon leaders away. And the distance is determined by their command rating, which is supposedly beneficial, but in reality makes things more difficult. The distances that a higher CO would have to travel in order to take over (on the individual level that we don't see, if the HQ squad is very close to the platoon) would not be big enough to cause any trouble under fire (and it is usually very light considering that everybody else got through OPEN ground no problem), however the distance that you have to move your entire toon HQ is quite large, and is enough to make it draw fire.

[ November 07, 2002, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: White Phosphorus ]