Shooting distance

Is there a list of reasonable distances to open up per unit. For example, if I have a rifle squad, am I wasting my ammo if I start shooting when they are 200m away? what about 100m? what about 300m? What is a good distance to start shooting?

What about machine guns? and tanks... and anything? Is there a list or something to go by?

I would look at the unit info window (hit enter with the unit selected).

This gives you the firepower for infantry by range approximately. You'll find that unless a unit has some sort of LMG they're good for suppression only at further than 100m.

Vehicle HE shells have the same effect (more or less) regardless of range because they act based on explosives, not kinetic energy. AP round effectiveness drops off based on muzzle velocity and range. Either way, the unit info windows of the two vehicles should allow you to compare armor to penetration for shells to armor rating for target to get a rough kill chance.

Of course, if the enemy is in LOS, the target line will tell you all of this.

Most 1 LMG squads don't put out great killing power until ~100m and closer. It is a different story for 2 LMG squads like German Motorized, Paratroops/FJ, etc, whose firepower at 100m can be double that of a 1 LMG squad. Either way, you may get decent suppression beyond 100m (1 LMG), but to get kills stay hidden, maybe use an ambush point 1 meter in front of your platoon to let the enemy get really close...sometimes the enemy will get to within 5m w/o spotting you, and if they're still on the move when you open up...curtains.

For CMBB, you can probably open up further out, maybe 200-400m, since the LMGs will enjoy the better suppression effects of CMBB.