Operation designers, please help me ...

Hi there,

I´m having some problems while designing an operation.

In the second battle I want some enemy tanks to join the battle coming from a specific map area, where a road enters the map.

I´ve placed a setup zone there while the rest of this area of the map is neutral. The computer, when setting up the troops for this particular engagement totally ignores my setup zone and places the tanks where it finds it appopriate.

Cover seems to play a role but then again not because while some tanks are put into more or less covered spots others appear on the plain steppe. Creating cover in the setup zone does not help at all.

Darn, I wish there were some more features in the editor or at least some clearer instructions in the manual which would help me to avoid some of the pains of trial and error.

Thanks

Nolloff

[ November 23, 2002, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Nolloff ]

From what I understand Nollof the placement of reinforcements is pretty much up to the AI, a pain I know, but unless someone else knows something I don't that's the way it is!

Would be nice to be able to have a little more control over this feature I think....

During an operation, any reinforcements you get are placed sort of in the middle of the rear area of your set up zone, it's not actually possible as far as i'm aware to set exactly where you want them to arrive, (like you would in a normal scenario.)

Thank you for the feedback Mercury.

Yes, it seems I just wasted some hours trying to set something up which doesn´t work. All I´d need to make this operation work would be that the troops I place padlocked "on map" in areas reached at a later stage are not all teleported onto the first map or alternatively would arrive in the setup-zones.

Now it seems it´s almost impossible to set up a strongpoint unless you have a huge town and/or lots of cover all over the place.

Just a handful of additional options in the editor would dramatically improve the possiblities.

Well, maybe in CM3 then.

Cheers!

Nolloff

I agree with your frustration, but... since as an operation progresses setup zones change, it would be a problem if reinforcements appeared within the enemy setup zone. Ideally you would be able to specify multiple ordered locations for reinforcements and the reinforcements would come in the first available reinforcement point that was legal. Or something like that.

Xerxes,

yes, setup-zones for the defender could certainly lead to clashes with the setup of the attacker. If activated padlock would mean no shifting of troops to the active map-zone that could cause similar problems.

At least my understanding of the editor functions is improved and I see why it is made this way.

Thanks to everybody who replied.

Nolloff

[ November 23, 2002, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Nolloff ]

WWB,

yes, I´ve noticed that fortifications stay in place. The problem I have is related to the map design. The strongpoint is meant to be inside a Balka which is in a right angle to the direction of the attack but does not cross the whole map.

2/3 of my infantry reinforcements meant to man the strongpoint get placed more or less where I´d like them to be but the rest is put on open steppe terrain somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

I can use terrain tiles and height differences to direct the attackers where I want them to go but have not enough control over the defending force to make my design work.

Well, I was stupid enough to spend quite some time on the map design etc. before taking a closer look at the force placement mechanisms. So to some degree I´m complaining about myself ;)

Cheers,

Nolloff