elsdorf

***spoiler alert***

anybody who looks further is a cheating swine!

Hey, just played Elsdorf as the Axis and only encountered ONE Pershing -- which promptly succumbed to my excellent force of Tigers. What's the deal? I thought there were supposed to be a half-dozen anyway.I didn't alter the scenario defaults at all.

------------------

"Arms are my ornaments, warfare my repose." - Don Quixote

There are four Pershings that show up. I know, as I used them to great effect. Perhaps they are not always consistent? I seem to recall reading something about reinforcements not being guaranteed in size and time of arrival, but maybe it was just that they aren't guaranteed to show up period.

Of course, maybe they did just bog.

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

I should have gotten back here sooner, but it turns out I was mistaken: After a close examination of the map the next day, I identified all four Pershings -- in flames.

Duh! Good thing I didn't see all four during the heat of battle; I would have needed a change of underwear...

------------------

"Arms are my ornaments, warfare my repose." - Don Quixote

Wait a minute-I saw in a WWII book that the Pershing was sent over as a "Tiger-killer" and never encountered a single Tiger or Tiger II. The Elsdorf battle must be fictional, or maybe my resource was just a piece of junk that relied on grumpy old men who didn't remember engaging a Tiger in their M26...

No fiction, my good sergeant. You'll find the encounter described in the book:

US Army in World War II Series by Center of Military History, US Government.

Volume: "The Last Offensive," page 169.

The Pershing saw limited use toward the end of the war but was plagued with problems. It was a rush job to the field to get it into action before the war ended.

It saw considerably more action during the Korean War. Some were ripped from pedastals while on display at some of the forts in the US and sent straight to Korea to be armed there.

Even then most tankers preferred the M4a3e8 Sherman to deal with the North Korean T-34/85s. So Clay Blair comments in his book on Korea, "The Forgotten War."

But it was a big step in moving toward the great Patton series of tanks.

Wild Bill

------------------