Tutorial - Tank vs. Tank

I am playing the Germans in this one and twice both my tanks have gotten knocked out.

In all cases, only one on one engagements took place.

One tank in both occassions was hull down front facing and I only got one shot off vs. two for the visible sherman. Both times the second shot penerated the hull.

I used the other tank to manuver into flanking / rear positions and it seems as though the tank is not acting intelligently.

Is there a way to order a tank to move and then fire only on the tank that is being approached? I get the impression that my tank commander does not know the enemy tank is there, even though it has been spotted by my other units.

Is the tutorial designed to give the Allies an advantage?

I understand the tactics discussed in the forum. What I am looking for is a good understanding of how to issue orders that allow my tank to focus its fire power onto the tank that is being approached. IE, forget about infantry in the distance, get the tank.

------------------

Sincerely,

The Duke

When going tank on tank, issue a target order on the tank you want to take out after you have layed out it's next movement route. This way it will shoot with the big gun at the tank rather than machine gunning the enemy troops while it gets knocked out in the meantime. Be sure to have scouted the area well with your troops prior to venturing forward for that flank shot, we all know how delicate those Shermans seem against the Panzers or even worse the Tank Destroyers. I've found it's good to sneak your troops forward in a protected area (building) to destract the tank you want the move your sherman in for that flank or better yet rear shot. And when my shermans are out I've had great success in knocking out german tanks with my troops from close range. Even with out demo charges or the like, hand grenades do the trick if they are close enough and in decent enough protected area to survive long enough to toss a few at the tank. You'll at least knock off a track to immoblize the vehicle and limit it's effect on the battle field. Good luck!

I forgot to add something. Don't ever take on German armoured units head on with Shermans. CM gives a clear understanding of how superior the German Tanks are to ours. You'll get blown away for sure and even if you do get a few shots off they are going to clank off their super tough front armor and turret like golf balls. Their rear is soft as a baby's bottom. Flank shots are good to, especially with a Bazooka from 50meters or less.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Get Some:

Don't ever take on German armoured units head on with Shermans. CM gives a clear understanding of how superior the German Tanks are to ours.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless, of couse, it's a Sherman Jumbo! biggrin.gif

------------------

Canada: Where men were men, unless they were horses.

-Dudley Do-right

Thanks for the tip.

When going tank on tank, issue a target order on the tank you want to take out after you have layed out it's next movement route. This way it will shoot with the big gun at the tank rather than machine gunning the enemy troops while it gets knocked out in the meantime. Be sure to have scouted the area well with your troops prior to venturing forward for that flank shot, we all know how delicate those Shermans seem against the Panzers or even worse the Tank Destroyers. I've found it's good to sneak your troops forward in a protected area (building) to destract the tank you want the move your sherman in for that flank or better yet rear shot. And when my shermans are out I've had great success in knocking out german tanks with my troops from close range. Even with out demo charges or the like, hand grenades do the trick if they are close enough and in decent enough protected area to survive long enough to toss a few at the tank. You'll at least knock off a track to immoblize the vehicle and limit it's effect on the battle field. Good luck!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also when approaching a hill crest that you want to go hull down over watch out for indiscriminative "hunt" commands if other units, say infantry are visible. Nothing more frustrating than to plan on sneaking up the enemy's backside, only to have your tank first (in current LOS) target that squad acroos the valley then advance w/ the turrent facing the wrong direction as you come into LOS of your intended target, only to learn how much faster their turrents turn than yours!!

You may just have to issue a move command and eyeball the hull down position

------------------

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

-- King Henry VI, Part II, Act 4, sc.2, l.86

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 09-07-2000).]

I forgot to add something. Don't ever take on German armoured units head on with Shermans. CM gives a clear understanding of how superior the German Tanks are to ours. You'll get blown away for sure and even if you do get a few shots off they are going to clank off their super tough front armor and turret like golf balls. Their rear is soft as a baby's bottom. Flank shots are good to, especially with a Bazooka from 50meters or less.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a follow up: This is what worked for the Axis to win the senario. (I use the term bazooka generically.)

One tank on each side of the map w/ troops and bazooka in middle facing flag. Spotter and MG moved to third floor of building closest to flag. Other troops flanked same side as spotter's location.

As shermans approached the flag they were distracted by my troops during there flanking move. This allowed my bazooka to move on one tank and take it out. After this engagement started I used the spotter to drop smoke on my own troops closest to the flag. At this point I moved my two tanks to flank the remaining tank (The bazooka took one out). One tank stopped before engaging the tank and fired on allied troops nearby. (I have learned that troops cannot be ingored even when not armed with a bazooka). My other tank could not get a clean shot due to smoke and was being targeted by the sherman. Instead of moving into the open to take a shot I used area fire at the shermans rear and I was able to immobilize it. With smoke still offering cover, I moved an infantry uint on the tank and took it out with a Panzerfaust.

With out any tanks to support their attack, I eventually defeated the Allies.

Thanks again for all the tips.