AT Guns in defense

Degus

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

It will also be interesting when we get to CM3 to check out 2 lbr. portee combos.

Michael

Portee units, I beleive, were used by the British primarily in North Africa? Were they ever used in Europe summer 1944?

These units were known by the British as incinerators. Very mobile but very lightly armoured with a 2lb. gun had no punch whatsoever. Can any one clarify?

According to the WORLD ALMANAC BOOK of WWII,the Portee was a vehicle used to carry the 2-pounder. It was designd to fire from a platform which gave it 360 degrees of traverse. It could be towed as well. It fired a 40mm solid shot round that could defeat 53mm of armor at 500 yards. According to the book this gun was obsolete by the time the desert war came but was continued in service because emphasis was placed on it's production instead of the planned 6-pounder. No mention of this gun being used in 1944. By late 1942 the 17-pounder was in production so my guess is that the 2-pounder would have seen little or no action in Normandy and beyoynd.

Guest Scott Clinton

The 2pdr gun itself was mounted on a crucifix platform that allowed it to freely rotate 360 degrees. This was not an aspect particular to the 'portee' method of transport, but an aspect of the 2pder itself.

The 2pdr was very heavy for such a small gun and to increase mobility in the desert the British started mounting them directly in the beds of their primary transports (i.e. trucks). This allowed them to fire (toward the rear) and then move away quickly. But of course trucks are not armored.

They were not used in NW Europe at all AFAIK. As a matter of fact I don't think they were even used in Sicily or Italy. By that time the 6pdr had replaced the 2pdr entirely.

(ed for crappy typing)

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 09-25-2000).]

Scott replied nicely on the usage issue, and here comes the rest...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Faust:

Portee units, ... with a 2lb. gun had no punch whatsoever. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 2pdr was the best ATG in use in North Africa, until the german 50mm guns came into use.

Range, ROF and penetration was somewhat better than that of the German 37mm gun and much better than anything the Italians had.

The only downside with the 2pdr was the weight and setup time for the turn table, something that was overcome with the use of portee mounts.

(Of course I take neither the German stop gap use of air defence units nor the British use of field artillery in anti tank role into this consideration.)

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Faust:

Interesting to note your personal AT experience. I suppose I'm still surprised that hit and run with AT's and TOW's is/was not more of a science. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I remember the basic rule (in 1990) was to be at least 800m away from the firing position within 3minutes after the first shot fired, to avoid artillery fire...

Try to do this in CM. First you will have big trouble even leaving the firing position within 3 minutes, then an 800m retreat will usually end up off map...

Cheers

Olle

I believe the German AT gun doctrine in Russia was to use 5-10 or so guns covering the same area, all under one battery commander. That way, 2-3 guns could target one tank, virtually assuring a kill, and enable the battery to fight it out with groups of tanks. Probably this would work in CM, maybe with just 3 guns.

Another thing I've had success with is putting guns on both sides of the enemy's likely route of advance. If he turns to engage one gun, the other one blasts him in the back.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska